Problem updating `rlang`on Mac

I am using RStudio version 2021.09.02 Build 302 on a Mac with R version 4.1.2.

I clicked Packages: Update to update rlang. Installed is 1.0.0. Available is 1.0.1. I then selected Install Updates.

When asked if I want to update loaded packages and restart R I said yes. I was then told the "git" command requires the command line developer tools. As I do not want to develop packages, I clicked cancel.

This appeared:
"There is a binary version available but the source
version is later:
binary source needs_compilation
rlang 1.0.0 1.0.1 TRUE"

This appeared:
"Do you want to install from sources the package which needs compilation? (Yes/no/cancel)"

Neither yes nor no resulted in an install from the sources.

I need to do this because when I try to install the baseballrpackage I get the message that the downloaded new source version of rlang needs to be compiled.

What should I do? One reason I never installed the git commands is because I heard it can take a long time to download.

If you want to install from sources, right now you have no other option but to install the command line tools. But if you wait a few days a precompiled binary for the latest version will become available so you don't need to compile yourself.

Thanks.

1. Is there an easy way to know when a precompiled binary is available?
  2. I have several different uncompiled source versions on my computer. Is there an easy way to get rid of them?

Check the CRAN page for the package, they advertise availability.

I don't understand what you mean, al working packages have to be compiled, either by you or CRAN, they are not usable in source form.

I believe that though RStudio was unable to compile the source version of the latest rlang that I downloaded today, isn't the uncompiled version still on my computer? If it is, how can I remove it?

Those intermediate files get downloaded into a temporary folder (your system's temp folder) and then automatically deleted. I'm not a macOS user so I don't know specifically where it's located or how to purge it.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.