Problem with installing readxl or any package

Hello friends,
I am doing my first steps in R programming and I am having problems with installing packages.
I am trying to install
install.packages("dplyr")
install.packages("readxl")
but when I do this is the result:

install.packages("dplyr")
WARNING: Rtools is required to build R packages but is not currently installed. Please download and install the appropriate version of Rtools before proceeding:

https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/Rtools/
Warning in install.packages :
'lib = "C:/Program Files/R/R-3.6.1/library"' is not writable
cannot create dir 'C:\Users???????', reason 'Invalid argument'
Error in install.packages : unable to create ‘C:/Users/???????/Documents/R/win-library/3.6’

install.packages("readxl")
WARNING: Rtools is required to build R packages but is not currently installed. Please download and install the appropriate version of Rtools before proceeding:

https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/Rtools/
'lib = "C:/Program Files/R/R-3.6.1/library"' is not writable
cannot create dir 'C:\Users???????', reason 'Invalid argument'
Error in install.packages : unable to create ‘C:/Users/???????/Documents/R/win-library/3.6’

can you help me please ? Thank you in advance

Rtools is used to install packages that require compilation on windows, since you are using a fairly old R version, it is very likely that you are going to need it, you can download it from here

This part can be fixed by running RStudio as administrator so you get write permissions on system folders.

I'm assuming you are masking your actual name but very likely this is due to non-ASCII characters or empty spaces in your windows user name.

Also, I would recommend updating R to the latest version 4.0.2

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.