Problem with neuralnet

Hello,

I'm trying to fit a simple classification model using neuralnet, but I encounter some problems. I want to examine how L2 vowels are classified in terms of L1 vowel categories based on F1, F2, F3, and duration. My code is the following:

fit_train <- neuralnet(vowel ~ F1 + F2 + F3 + duration, hidden= 10, linear.output = FALSE, data=train)
pred <- compute(fit_train, test[,2:5])
idx <- apply(pred$net.result, 1, which.max)
predicted <- c("i", "a", "e", "o", "u") [idx]
table(test$vowel, predicted)
       predicted
         a  e  i  o  u
  had   13  0  1  0  6
  hard   0  0  0  0 20
  head  19  0  0  0  1
  heed   0 20  0  0  0
  herd   5  0  0  0 15
  hid    9  9  0  1  1
  hoard  0  0  0  0 20
  hod    0  0  0  0 20
  hood   5  0  0  0 15
  hud    2  0  0  1 17
  whod   6  2  0  2 10

The classification results I receive are far away from ideal and differ a lot from those I received from other types of analyses. I changed hidden many times, but, still, the results are not accurate. Are there any errors in the code? Any suggestions?

with a single number, it is giving you a shallow network with only 1 layer. if you want to try 10 layers deep each of width 10 use
hidden=c(10,10)

I tried it but I get nonaccurate results again. Is the code OK?

I don't see any obvious howlers, so my estimate is that the code is probably ok.

I'm wondering whether neuralnet is able to conduct crosslinguistic analyses with a dependent variable including different levels in the trained and testing modalities (e.g. L1 vs L2 vowels for vowel) just like my example.

I don't see why not in principle...
if your data contains a reasonable amount of signal to noise to be detected, I would expect neuralnets to be in the running for workable methods to detect them.

This topic was automatically closed 42 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.