Problem with qualitative, categorical data analysis

Hi all,

I'm struggling with analysing a data set that is predominantly qualitative, categorical data. My data is basically organised as follows: the presence of three different mosquito species (yes/no or 1/0), and which season, year, month, locality, collection method and sex are associated with each entry. I don't know if that makes sense. I've attached some sample data below that will hopefully clarify. I have tried making some of the data continuous by converting to count data.

Orig collection date Month Year Season Locality An. Merus An. arabiensis An. quadriannulatus Identification Count Sex Collection Method
27/10/2009 October 2009 Spring Block A 1 0 0 An. merus 1 Male Larvae
27/10/2009 October 2009 Spring Block A 1 0 0 An. merus 1 Male Larvae
30/04/2015 April 2015 Autumn Block A 0 0 1 An. quadriannulatus 1 Male Outdoor pot/bucket
30/04/2015 April 2015 Autumn Block A 0 0 1 An. quadriannulatus 1 Male Outdoor pot/bucket
16/03/2016 March 2016 Autumn Vlakbult 0 1 0 An. arabiensis 1 Female CO₂ tent
16/03/2016 March 2016 Autumn Vlakbult 0 1 0 An. arabiensis 1 Female CO₂ tent

Because of the nature of the data, parametric tests aren't appropriate, and a non-parametric test such as Kruskal-Wallis also doesn't work. A friend suggested I try correlation tests, so I tried Spearman's Rank Correlation, and additionally Wilcoxon Signed Rank tests. I got some statistical results from that, but I'm worried that the assumptions for the tests are not met. My data are not normally distributed, nor homogenous, as per Shapiro-Wilk and Levene's test. I would like to do multi-variable multi-comparison tests if possible. The Wilcoxon Signed Rank test gave me a significant p-value, but I don't know what post-hoc test to do then.

My research questions are as follows:

1. Is there a significant difference between species abundance across seasons? I.e. species 1's abundance in Summer, Winter, Spring and Fall vs Species 2 and Species 3.
    2). Is there a significant difference between species abundance across years? I.e. species 1's abundance in Year 1 etc vs Species 2 and Species 3.
  2. Is there a significant difference in species abundance between collection methods?
  3. Is there a significant difference in species abundance between locations?

Any advice on how to analyse the data would be greatly appreciated!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.