Problem with RStudio showing white screen on startup

I recently installed the current versions of R and RStudio. However, when I start RStudio, It comes up with a white screen. The menu options also don't do anything. Additionally, just before the window opens, Windows makes a chime sound like the sort it usually makes when an error has occurred (the sound happens most often when you try to click in the background of an application that has a menu sub-window open). However, when I checked the Event Viewer there was no indication that an error had been logged.

Windows 10
R version: 4.2.1
RStudio version: 2022.07.1-554

Have you tried resetting RStudio's state?

I think I have followed that as best I could. My folders are not named exactly the same as how it's shown on the site, though. I have appdata/Roaming/RStudio and appdata/Local/RStudio. I have deleted both of these folders, restarted the computer, and tried to run RStudio, and it does the same thing (and recreates the folders, which is expected).

Also, I would be open to changing versions of both R and RStudio, but I don't want to do so blindly and have to go through a trial-and-error process. If there is a known combination of versions that is known to be extremely stable, works on virtually every computer tested, I am open to switching to that combination.

Hi, welcome!

Have you tried changing to software rendering?, you can change it by holding the Ctrl key while opening RStudio, then you should see this menu and change the "Rendering Engine" to "Software".

Yes, I did try doing that. Tested changing it to "software" and "Desktop OpenGL".

I should have mentioned at the start that these are things I tried doing before I posted here. I had googled about the problem and saw that deleting the appdata RStudio folders and changing the rendering method were common suggestions. Neither worked for me, so I thought I would ask here.

I have some more information that might help solving this problem. I noted that installing R also adds a separate app to run (it comes up as RGui when I start it). When I ran this app, I got an error message:
Fatal Error: 'R_TempDir' contains space

I am not sure what this error is, or if it is relevant to the problems with RStudio, but if I had to guess I would assume that RStudio needs to run RGui, and that's where the error is.

Problem solved!

If you have a space in your Windows username, you cannot use current versions of R! I went back to version 4.1.3 after seeing that someone else with the same error message solved the problem that way.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.