Problem with RStudio Workbench pausing mid-job

I have exactly the same problem right now. And we are not alone, I've found other posts with the same problem and no solutions, one from 2018 and another one more recent from september 2022.

And it's not limited to workbench, I'm working with Rstudio server on CentOS and my sessions always time out after 2-3 hours of inactivity. When I log back in, it resumes the computations. No need to specifiy how annowing the problem is when you have 24 hours + analysis to run...

The problem do not seem to be code dependant. Initially, I thought it was happening because I was using a loop, but I changed the loop for a function and I still have the same problem. I seems to stop anywhere in my process, regardless of what is running.

There suppose to be a setting to control the session end (explain in link in next post). However, it not suppose to pause when the session is running:

Also, I did changed this setting (with 0 and 240) with no success:
(showed in image in next post)

It really seems there is something wrong with rstudio server. I didn't have this problem before. I'm currently using rstudio server version 1.4.1717 (Juliet Rose) for CentOS 7. I'm suppose to switch to version 2022.07.2+576 soon (It's my IT department that have the power to change my version, not me), I'll test the same analysis with this version as well hoping the problem will be fixed.

2 Likes