Problems with a simple line graph

Hi there! I have a dataframe like this:

example<data.frame(country=c("Argentina","Uruguay","Brazil","Argentina","Uruguay","Brazil","Argentina","Uruguay","Brazil"),
                year=c(2018,2019,2020,2018,2019,2020,2018,2019,2020),
                value=c(10,12,13,12,14,17,13,13,20))

And I am trying to create a simple line graph for each country, but my results are not as i expected. What is my mistake?

ggplot(example,aes(factor(year),value),group=country) + geom_line()

You have two problems. First, by making the year a factor, you're implicitly saying it's a discrete variable, so there will be no lines between years. Second, even if you remove factor, you still have several y for each x, that makes strange vertical lines (since geom_line() will try to make a line between each consecutive point). So in this case you can first summarize and plot the line only for the mean (for example).

example %>%
  group_by(year) %>%
  summarize(mean_val = mean(value)) %>%
  ggplot(aes(x=year, y=mean_val)) +
  geom_line()

And you can even augment it with error bars and the original points:

example %>%
  group_by(year) %>%
  summarize(mean_val = mean(value),
            sd = sd(value)) %>%
  ggplot(aes(x=year, y=mean_val)) +
  geom_line() +
  geom_errorbar(aes(ymin=mean_val - sd, ymax = mean_val + sd), width = .1) +
  geom_jitter(data = example, mapping = aes(x=year, y=value), color = "green", width = .1)

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Oh right, then you just need to have the group inside the aes(), since you want to map it to a variable.

Also, there is a smal problem with your example data, where you have 1 country per year, which is probably not true.

example <- data.frame(country=c("Argentina","Uruguay","Brazil","Argentina","Uruguay","Brazil","Argentina","Uruguay","Brazil"),
                   year=c(2018,2018,2018,2019,2019,2019,2020,2020,2020),
                   value=c(10,12,13,12,14,17,13,13,20))

ggplot(example,aes(year,value,group=country)) + geom_line()
#same with color
ggplot(example,aes(x=year,y=value, color = country)) + geom_line()

Thank you for your answer. As i said, i am looking to draw a line for each country, so i can compare their evolution each year, so i would have three lines