Prompt to install missing R packages doesn't appear in RStudio

I saw in this this blog post that it's possible to let RStudio prompt the user to automatically install missing packages. The option is in the menu under Tools -> Global Options -> Code -> Diagnostics and then enable the checkbox Prompt to install missing R packages discovered in R source files.

However, I've got the option enabled but as far as I can see there is no prompt. See screenshot below.

What am I doing wrong here? I'm working on a single script file, but I assume that doesn't matter correct? Also I've edited and saved it. Does it rely on a combination with another option maybe? Or is the prompt moved to a different screen that's not visible at the moment?

FYI this is my info: RStudio v1.4.1717 (Windows 10) and I suspect it's the same as this thread.

I tried in on the most recent build RStudio 2022.07.0 Build 548, 64-bit, Windows 10, but the prompt still doesn’t appear. Here are the steps to reproduce.

• Create a new R Script (Ctrl + Shift + N)
  • Paste the code below
  • Select all (ctrl + A)
  • Run selection (ctrl + Enter)
library(tidyquant)

google <- tq_get(x = "GOOG")

names(google)

As far as I can see there's no prompt or dialog to install the tidyquant library and the output is just this:

library(tidyquant)

Error in library(tidyquant) : there is no package called ‘tidyquant’

google <- tq_get(x = "GOOG")

Error in tq_get(x = "GOOG") : could not find function "tq_get"

names(google)

Error: object 'google' not found

I know how to install packages, but I want our users (medical researchers) to automatically get a prompt for any missing packages when they are working with our R scripts.

If you:

• Save the R Script
  • Close the R Script
  • Open the R Script again

Do you see the prompt? (My knowledge of this feature isn't perfect but some diagnostics only work on saved files that have a location on disk.)

Also, try this:

View(available.packages())

Does it succeed? Do you see tidyquant in the table returned? (This is the database used by the diagnostic engine to determine whether a package is installable or not.)

Ah yes, It doesn't work on new un-saved scripts. The prompt does appear when I save the file :smiley::+1:

Also fyi I do see the tidyquant in the returned table so that was not the problem

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.