Proper Linux Permissions for shared project / .RProj file

Hi there,

I'm following along this helpful guide to share a project with multiple users from here

and I've created a new project with the suggested settings in the article. My colleague is still having trouble opening the project file, however, and we suspect it might be a permissions issue. Is it possible the file itself needs certain user:group permissions to open it, or perhaps everything in the directory? I'm the owner, and both of us are in the group the file is associated with.

The permissions and UID:GID all look like this in the file:

Note my_uid is a replacement for my actual UID, and gid_for_the... is a replacement for the real group. It is not the primary group for all users, but just users who have access to this directory.

drwxr-sr-x 4 my_uid gid_for_the_directory 4096 Jul 20 15:15 renv
-rw-r--r-- 1 my_uid gid_for_the_directory 570 Jul 20 15:15 renv.lock
-rw-r--r-- 1 my_uid gid_for_the_directory 0 Jul 20 15:17 .Rhistory
-rw-r--r-- 1 my_uid gid_for_the_directory 922 Jul 20 15:17 .Rprofile
drwxr-sr-x 4 my_uid gid_for_the_directory 4096 Jul 20 15:15 .Rproj.user
-rw-r--r-- 1 my_uid gid_for_the_directory 191 Jul 20 15:17 r_studio3.Rproj

Thank you!

It does appear that

chmod -R 775 <project_directory>

does fix the issue, but I'm still interested in what the minimum level of permissions needs to be for this to function properly, if anyone knows.

Thanks!

My subjective, no doubt biased opinion is that this is a false paradigm. I think collaboration should be handled by something like a git backend. Where users have local copies and push and pull changes to collaborate.

1 Like

No disagreements with you there :slight_smile:

Unfortunately not all in my group feel the same, sigh.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.