something more of an observation rather than a problem.
Problem: Moving from R 4.1.3 to 4.2.1 all of a sudden I couldnt reach CRAN anymore. The error was something like couldnt fetch index, no access to http smth smth.
My solution: Add Proxy Settings for the company proxy into
.Renviron(See Rstudio Guide)
- My R Desktop runs in a company (windows) environment where almost anything needs a proxy to get out.
- Interestingly, up to R 4.2.0. it worked just fine without a proxy which was odd.
- Key point: Its a european company with latin encoded characters up the wazoo. Lots of fun with path names form hell and all sorts of weird behaviour/malfunctions (e.g. bad pathnames mess with markdown preview since the markdown server cannot serve Rstudio if your project is in
\§8080 my colleagues löve restrictäd symbols in folder name$; solution move Rproj so sanely named location.)
- Possible Explanation:
- Up to R 4.2.x unicode and windows was a bear, lots of issues with path names and unicode chars.
- I suspect that with proper unicode support/handling in windows contacting cran now doesnt find a loophole in the firewall settings?
- Or did the way R contacts CRAN change from 4.1.x to 4.2.x?
Cheers from the skunkworks