Publishing source code to Connect

I'm new to Connect and I'm unable to publish a document with source code. I get an error that Connect cannot open the connection. I'm curious why the datafiles cannot be located since I can knit the document in Workbench. Is this an authentication issue between Connect and Workbench? In my setting, Workbench is on one Linux server and Connect is on another...is it an issue with communication between the 2 servers?

Howdy @scoulter ! Welcome to RStudio Community and to Connect! That is definitely a curious issue!!

It very well may be that there is an issue with communication between the 2 servers! It's a little hard to tell without a bit more information though. Is it possible that you could share the deployment log / a screenshot of what you are encountering? That would be super helpful!

Is this working for anyone else on your team? That can help tell whether the issue is in your personal workspace or for the whole installation.

It's also worth noting that since Connect and Workbench are professional software, you have a support team at RStudio that may be able to help with this issue as well! If you want to go that route, you can email support@rstudio.com with the logs I mentioned and include a link to this thread :smile:

I hope we can get your issue resolved soon!

Hi Cole,
Yes. My issue is more about the communication between a Linux server a SQL server and the security products/credentials in place in my organization. I realize this may not be the ideal place for this question, but I was curious if you know where I might post this type of question for support?

I think this is actually a great place for the question (especially since others may be able to find it if they run into similar issues). However, it has the downside of sometimes getting lost (i.e. I missed this message, sorry :sweat_smile: )

The other downside of a public forum is that details like hostnames / IP addresses / etc. should not be shared for privacy reasons (and IIRC RStudio Community will block your post if it detects any such info).

The other forum I mentioned was RStudio Support, which you are definitely welcome to reach out to! They will definitely need more details (and perhaps a diagnostic bundle to do more assistance though). If you're having a hard time deciding, your RStudio Customer Success representative is always a safe bet and can help route your request!

That said, there are often people internally to your organization that can be helpful to escalate to as well!

To resolve the issue, I typically think of network access with several layers:

• Can the servers talk to each other (i.e. does firewall allow access). A simple tester like netcat can be helpful here. nc -vz my-server-name.com 443
  • If that works, can I make an authenticated request to that service? This varies based on protocol (i.e. database vs. HTTP), but there are various tools like curl, isql, psql, the SQL Server variant that I can never remember the name of... (sqlcmd?), etc.
  • Once you have tried with a simplified version, try using R / Python or whatever your code is going to do

I hope that helps!!