RStudio / engineering / USA / remote / full-time
RStudio creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our products comprise a data science toolchain, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means. We are hiring a QA Engineer to join the development team that produces our hosted cloud products, shinyapps.io and rstudio.cloud .
This role involves test strategy creation, full-stack testing, test automation framework development, process improvement, data analysis, and puzzle solving, and it offers significant opportunity to drive the quality of our software through careful testing and thoughtful analysis. If you insist on unrelenting quality, excel at critical thought, and love working with amazing people, this job could be for you.
What you’ll be doing:
- Driving the testing strategy for the team, creating a big-picture test design based on the priorities and goals of the hosted cloud products
- Creating and executing concise, coherent manual test plans and automated tests for the products
- Day-to-day testing of the features implemented by the team, supported by your teammates and the resources of the full QA group
- Analyzing and troubleshooting complex problems to find root causes, and log steps to reproduce in bug reports. Following up with bug fix verification
- Contributing to the design of the software, with a focus on quality and usability, and contributing to the development of a reliable and efficient release process
- Collaborating with other QA team members to share knowledge, coordinate coverage, and optimize processes
- You have experience testing micro-services and cloud-based software
- You have experience testing both front- and back-end systems; this is a full-stack position
- You have experience writing automated tests (in any language) and creating high-level test strategies for multiple products
- You have some Unix/Linux experience
- You have strong organization and communication skills, written and oral
- You are curious and willing to learn new technologies
In addition, we'd love to see some combination of:
- Experience administering Linux servers; familiarity with Linux tools and environment
- Experience integrating automated tests into continuous integration processes
- Experience designing performance tests for cloud-based software
- Release engineering experience
- Familiarity with R, python, or both
- Experience with VM software/Docker/Vagrant/EC2
- Demonstrated success in a small, fast-paced organization
- Interest in data science and/or the RStudio mission
- We welcome people from all backgrounds and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms .
- We are a flat organization and expect agency from within . If you get a little uncomfortable around 'broken windows' and take initiative to improve your surroundings, you will thrive here.
- Our team is 100% distributed and we prioritize “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and have assembled some of the greatest minds in data science and software engineering. We take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and want you to deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model : 60% of engineering is open source. We are profitable, and we plan to be around twenty years from now.
- We offer competitive compensation with generous benefits including medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered), 401k matching, home office allowance (or we’ll reimburse you for a coworking space), profit-sharing system, parental leave policies, and unlimited vacation time.
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.