QtWebEngineProcess dominating CPU in RStudio

This seems to be a topic that appears periodically without resolution.

I just updated my RStudio instance to the latest version, I hadn't updated since about September. I began rerunning a document when, partway through, the IDE froze and top showed QtWebEngineProcess using about 110% of the CPU (It's a 4 CPU system). After reading the other tickets, I decided that it was probably due to a print statement that was dumping a lot of lines to the output - even though in the past the IDE handled it just fine.

So I built a little reprex, and ran it. Up to 100,000 lines of print, it worked okay, no serious issues. For 1,000,000 lines, it showed some of the freezing behavior, and then the IDE went completely white, showing nothing but a frame.

It's dead, Jim.

title: "Test runaway process"
author: "Alan Jackson"
date: "1/20/2020"
output: html_document


knitr::opts_chunk$set(echo = TRUE)

The problem

I think the problem is associated with too much printing


  PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND             
19826 ajackson  20   0 4267776 3.033g  76380 S   0.0  9.7   3:58.00 rsession            
19858 ajackson  20   0 4171796 760576  88612 R 101.0  2.3  22:43.62 QtWebEngineProc

Iterations <- 1000000

for (i in 1:Iterations){ print (paste("--->",i,"<---"))}

I am running:
OS: ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Memory: 32 Gb
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-7500 CPU @ 3.40GHz × 4
Graphics: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB/PCIe/SSE2
RStudio Version 1.2.5033

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.