Quarto interactive document publishing error

Kia ora. When trying to publish an interactive Quarto document (any document, including the default) from within RStudio, I get the following error:

(TypeError): Cannot read property 'j' of null

Running the document locally works. Publishing Shiny apps to shinyapps.io works.

Version information:

RStudio 2022.07.1 Build 554
R version 4.2.1 (all packages updated to latest on CRAN)
Windows 11

If anyone can help I would be thankful.

I'm experiencing the same issue trying to publish a static Quarto website.

RStudio 2022.07.1 Build 554
R version 4.2.0
Windows 10

Adding this reply to keep the topic open.

Looks like it is a Windows issue. I got round the issue by running the latest RStudio in WSL2 and it works fine.

I downloaded the latest version of quarto from GitHub, which was supposed to fix the windows bug, but no success. I'm going to try Macos instead. I hope they fix it though since my work laptop is Windows.

Were you able to get it to publish via macOS? I am running into this same issue right now too.

Hi! @nzcoder

I have a problem with "quarto document" as well in windows using Rstudio (the latest stable).

I found one solution that worked for me.

Before I reinstalled R, Rstudio, Rtools, Quarto, and Python, the final solution was the below.

I copied the findstr.exe file from C:\Windows\System32 to C:\Program Files\RStudio\bin.

This solved not only the "create new project" in Rstudio but also the "render .qmd" and other quarto document problems as well.

I hope it works for you as well.

1 Like

I have met the same problem as yours, and I solved the two problems(a "Mojibake error" after the "create new project error" ) by copying findstr.exe and findstr.exe.mui to not only ...\RStudio\bin as the guidance of @Alencar, but also to ...\quarto\bin and ...\R-4.2.1\bin.

After all of these directories have .exe and .exe.mui, I can successully render .qmd file and create a new project!

But because my working environment is not English, I have two findstr.exe.mui files in both en-US and 'zh-CN' directory, and I don't know if the render error is caused by it.

1 Like

FWIW the findstr issue has been solved in Quarto. It will be available in next stable release, and should already be available in current pre release.

1 Like

I was able to solve the issue by installing quarto to a path with no empty spaces.

C:\Program Files was causing it issues, but *C:\Quarto* works fine.

Interesting. thanks for sharing.

We had a report about space in path already but it seemed to be RStudio IDE. Maybe not... :thinking:

I noticed that quarto was giving an error like "file in ' Files/Quarto/bin' not found" which made me think that it was searching for some file in its folder but failing due to the whitespace. I already reinstalled it, so dunno what exactly was is looking for :frowning: I think a similar error can occur when RStudio tries to create a new project and "checks Quarto" for available templates or validates the install or something. I am on Windows 11 and have Python installed.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.