R Markdown (2.5 required but 2.3 available)

I just updated RStudio to version 1.4.1103. Now when I create an R Markdown document, I get the message "Required package version could not be found. rmarkdown 2.5 is required but 2.3 is available. " How do I get 2.5 version loaded in R Studio? I don't see any updates for 2.5 and when I install packages "rmarkdown", I get 2.3. Help!!

Latest version on CRAN is 2.6, What is the complete ouput message you get when you try to install?

install.packages("rmarkdown")

The message is "check that get Option (repos) refers to a cran repository that contains the needed package. "

In R Studio, under options, Primary CRAN repository is set to "Global (CDN) - RStudio."

Greatly appreciate some help. I cant knit any of my rmarkdown documents.

Thank you!!

We need more specific information, please copy and paste the actual output message

That is not what I meant, run this command and post the output you get, otherwise I don't have enough information to help you.

WARNING: Rtools is required to build R packages but is not currently installed. Please download and install the appropriate version of Rtools before proceeding:

https://cran.rstudio.com/bin/windows/Rtools/
Installing package into ‘C:/Users/royam/OneDrive/Desktop/Documents/R/win-library/4.0’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
trying URL 'https://mran.microsoft.com/snapshot/2020-07-16/bin/windows/contrib/4.0/rmarkdown_2.3.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 3631872 bytes (3.5 MB)
downloaded 3.5 MB

package ‘rmarkdown’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded binary packages are in
	C:\Users\royam\AppData\Local\Temp\RtmpsDhPPe\downloaded_packages
>

Logging off. I'll check tomorrow morning for your reply. Thank you!!!

The repository you are using is an MRAN snapshot from July 2020, that is why you get an older version, you have to change that, unfortunately I have never used Microsoft R so I don't know what other options you have available.

Thank you for your note and quick responses. All is well. I downloaded R from Cran and I'm up and running with rmarkdown again. Greatly appreciated. Great customer service!!!

1 Like

Just to clarify, this is a community forum where users help each other, not customer support.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.