R not found/R Session Startup Failure

About 6 weeks ago I was working for weeks in the latest Rstudio running on the then latest R base 4.2.1 on Linux Mint 20.0 Ulyana (Ubuntu Focal) all updated, during those weeks I occasionally rebooted the system and all was good, then the power went down and when I booted back on R would give me this R not found window: "R shared library (/usr/local/lib/R/lib/libR.so) not found. If this is a custom build of R, was it built with the --enable-R-shlib option?"

There are several identical topics discussed and closed already on https://forum.posit.co/ , however, none of the solutions helped me so far, perhaps I'm just overlooking something so I just force moved libR.so into R shared library (/usr/local/lib/R/lib/libR.so) and then after starting R I got this:

R Session Startup Failure Report

RStudio Version

RStudio 2022.07.2+576, "Spotted Wakerobin" (e7373ef8, 2022-09-06) for Ubuntu Bionic

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) QtWebEngine/5.12.8 Chrome/69.0.3497.128 Safari/537.36

Error message

[No error available]

Process Output

The R session exited with code 2.

Error output:

unable to initialize the JIT

Standard output:

[No output emitted]

Logs

/home/mint/.local/share/rstudio/log/rsession-mint.log

2022-11-01T16:56:35.751003Z [rsession-mint] ERROR R SUICIDE: unable to initialize the JIT; LOGGED FROM: void {anonymous}::rSuicide(const string&) src/cpp/session/SessionMain.cpp:1237
2022-11-01T17:33:45.946670Z [rsession-mint] ERROR R SUICIDE: unable to initialize the JIT; LOGGED FROM: void {anonymous}::rSuicide(const string&) src/cpp/session/SessionMain.cpp:1237
2022-11-01T17:33:45.946670Z [rsession-mint] ERROR R SUICIDE: unable to initialize the JIT; LOGGED FROM: void {anonymous}::rSuicide(const string&) src/cpp/session/SessionMain.cpp:1237

i completely removed and successfully reinstall R base 4.2.1 from tarball and also did update to 4.2.2, but nothing helped and nor did resetting RStudio desktop's state as described here.

Rstudio suggests:

R can fail to start up for many reasons. The following may help you resolve the problem:

• Investigate any errors above. [No error available]
  • Make sure that R starts up correctly outside RStudio (using RGui, R.app, or R in a terminal). [It does]
  • Fully uninstall all versions of R from your machine, and reinstall the version you wish to use with RStudio. [I did]
  • Remove startup customizations such as an .Rprofile file, if present. [Not present]

but I already tried out maby fixes & advices that I found in R community and elsewhere on similar errors throughout the weeks. And when I remove once again the libR.so from R shared library I'm back to R not found window: "R shared library (/usr/local/lib/R/lib/libR.so) not found. If this is a custom build of R, was it built with the --enable-R-shlib option?" I'm not willing to reinstall my entire OS running smoothly for 2yrs because of this... and I'm still a rookie in linux systems anyway...

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.