R session failed to start - "No error available"

Hello,

R Studio all of a sudden stopped working for me when I try to open a particular R project. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version of R and R Studio but still am not able to open the .Rproj file. The pop-up says "no error available". Here is what was provided in the log. I appreciate any help!

2023-01-09T19:43:56.240771Z [rsession-rsnead91] ERROR system error 22 (Invalid argument) [path: /Users/rsnead91/Documents/PhD (Temple)/Dissertation/Writing/Chapter 6. Aim 3 - Late-stage CRC/Ch6_RProject/.Rproj.user/FF9E1673/sources/session-185A6F57/2063C004-contents (1)]; OCCURRED AT rstudio::core::Error rstudio::session::source_database::get(const std::string &, bool, boost::shared_ptr) src/cpp/session/SessionSourceDatabase.cpp:706; LOGGED FROM: rstudio::core::Error rstudio::session::source_database::list(std::vector<boost::shared_ptr> *) src/cpp/session/SessionSourceDatabase.cpp:850
2023-01-09T19:43:56.258641Z [rsession-rsnead91] ERROR system error 22 (Invalid argument) [path: /Users/rsnead91/Documents/PhD (Temple)/Dissertation/Writing/Chapter 6. Aim 3 - Late-stage CRC/Ch6_RProject/.Rproj.user/FF9E1673/sources/session-185A6F57/2063C004 (1)]; OCCURRED AT rstudio::core::Error rstudio::session::source_database::get(const std::string &, bool, boost::shared_ptr) src/cpp/session/SessionSourceDatabase.cpp:706; LOGGED FROM: rstudio::core::Error rstudio::session::source_database::list(std::vector<boost::shared_ptr> *) src/cpp/session/SessionSourceDatabase.cpp:850
2023-01-09T19:43:56.258641Z [rsession-rsnead91] ERROR system error 22 (Invalid argument) [path: /Users/rsnead91/Documents/PhD (Temple)/Dissertation/Writing/Chapter 6. Aim 3 - Late-stage CRC/Ch6_RProject/.Rproj.user/FF9E1673/sources/session-185A6F57/2063C004 (1)]; OCCURRED AT rstudio::core::Error rstudio::session::source_database::get(const std::string &, bool, boost::shared_ptr) src/cpp/session/SessionSourceDatabase.cpp:706; LOGGED FROM: rstudio::core::Error rstudio::session::source_database::list(std::vector<boost::shared_ptr> *) src/cpp/session/SessionSourceDatabase.cpp:850

From RStudio Desktop Will Not Start on support.rstudio.com

Hi @rsnead91,
It may be that the project’s specs are corrupted, possibly by a change in directory names?
If you are satisfied that all your script and data files are present (and backed-up!), then you can manually delete the .proj file and just create a “new” replacement project from the RStudio pull-down menus and point it to the “existing directory”.
This suggestion assumes that RStudio is starting and working correctly when *not * using this “damaged” project.

I second @DavoWW go to

and preserve, defend and protect by all means necessary. If it twere me, I'd be using github (added benefit of revision control to roll back to something I'd regretted deleting) or another cloud account, a USB stick and I'd print it all out for scanning if all else fails.

But you know that.

If recreating the Rproj doesn't work, the first order of business is

which indicates generically that a call on some resource was not accessible, because of a file lock, for example.

Initial checklist

1. Same error after a cold reboot (not a restart, power off and on)?
  2. Operating system macOS? Version? Other?
  3. If you can open RStudio at all, what version?
  4. Is this running in docker or another container?
  5. Is this running on a virtual instance on another host?

Thank you, both!

I do have my dissertation folder backed up on a USB, external hard drive, and a cloud account. I am only just dipping my toes into the github pool. It's still confusing to me though.

I have tried to create a new project file using the existing directory. I'm still getting the same issue.

Following the checklist:

1. Same error after a cold reboot (not a restart, power off and on)? Yes, same issue.

2. Operating system macOS? Version? Other? Using Monterey Version 12.6.2. Have an update for Ventura. My chip is Apple M1 Pro

3. If you can open RStudio at all, what version? I can open R Studio. The version is 2022.12.0+353

4. Is this running in docker or another container? I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with what you're referring to. My tech knowledge is not that robust.

5. Is this running on a virtual instance on another host? If you are asking if I'm using R Studio virtually through a remote server, no I am not. This is on my local computer. However, I do use my macbook to remote into a HIPPA secured computer. This issue happens regardless if I'm not connected to that proxy server though.

@technocrat Thanks for the info about the new directory needing to be a sibling rather than a child of the failed directory. Once I attempted to create a new project with a sibling, I was able to get R Studio to open. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.