R Studio crashing with dplyr joins?

R Studio (latest version) just started crashing on me with dplyr joins. My Mac recently updated, which I suspect is the problem, as I’ve never had this issue before. This is where I'm running into the problem:

result <- inner_join(dataframe1, dataframe2, by = "common field", copy = FALSE)

Error message after the crash:
"R Session Aborted. R encountered a fatal error. The session was terminated."

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

Since there are preview versions, and daily builds of RStudio, could you let us know your exact version? Also, does this happen for you in both R and RStudio, or just in RStudio (see FAQ below for disambiguation).

Does this happen for literally any data and any join in dplyr? For example, what happens if you run:

library(dplyr)
example("inner_join")

If you can run it successfully in vanilla R, could you please turn this into a self-contained reprex (short for reproducible example)? It will help us help you if we can be sure we're all working with/looking at the same stuff.

install.packages("reprex")

If you've never heard of a reprex before, you might want to start by reading the tidyverse.org help page. The reprex dos and don'ts are also useful.

What to do if you run into clipboard problems

If you run into problems with access to your clipboard, you can specify an outfile for the reprex, and then copy and paste the contents into the forum.

reprex::reprex(input = "fruits_stringdist.R", outfile = "fruits_stringdist.md")

For pointers specific to the community site, check out the reprex FAQ.

1 Like

Thanks, Mara!

It's Rstudio version 1.1.463

I just uninstalled Rstudio, reinstalled it and restarted my computer and that seemed to fix it!

:tada: Yay! The good old turning it on and off (or deleting it and reinstalling) trick works its magic again! :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.