R studio doesn't have good Hindi support

I have been using r studio for many years and I never noticed it until recently. When I wanted to write my book in R studio through bookdown I chose Hindi as my language.

It turns out that when I type Hindi the curser moves ahead of the words and it becomes very hard to understand which word are you on. Especially when you want to delete something.

Then I switched to vscode and I found it had no such problem writing Hindi Unicode. So did atom. Somehow rstudio have such problem.

Just find any text in Hindi from Google and try to delete it and you will understand what I mean. Let me find some random text for you.

рдореЛрд╣рдирджрд╛рд╕ рдХрд░рдордЪрдиреНрдж рдЧрд╛рдВрдзреА (реи рдЕрдХреНрдЯреВрдмрд░ резреоремреп - рейреж рдЬрдирд╡рд░реА резрепрекрео) рднрд╛рд░рдд рдПрд╡рдВ рднрд╛рд░рддреАрдп рд╕реНрд╡рддрдВрддреНрд░рддрд╛ рдЖрдВрджреЛрд▓рди рдХреЗ рдПрдХ рдкреНрд░рдореБрдЦ рд░рд╛рдЬрдиреИрддрд┐рдХ рдПрд╡рдВ рдЖрдзреНрдпрд╛рддреНрдорд┐рдХ рдиреЗрддрд╛ рдереЗред рд╡реЗ рд╕рддреНрдпрд╛рдЧреНрд░рд╣ (рд╡реНрдпрд╛рдкрдХ рд╕рд╡рд┐рдирдп рдЕрд╡рдЬреНрдЮрд╛) рдХреЗ рдорд╛рдзреНрдпрдо рд╕реЗ рдЕрддреНрдпрд╛рдЪрд╛рд░ рдХреЗ рдкреНрд░рддрд┐рдХрд╛рд░ рдХреЗ рдЕрдЧреНрд░рдгреА рдиреЗрддрд╛ рдереЗ, рдЙрдирдХреА рдЗрд╕ рдЕрд╡рдзрд╛рд░рдгрд╛ рдХреА рдиреАрдВрд╡ рд╕рдореНрдкреВрд░реНрдг рдЕрд╣рд┐рдВрд╕рд╛ рдХреЗ рд╕рд┐рджреНрдзрд╛рдиреНрдд рдкрд░ рд░рдЦреА рдЧрдпреА рдереА рдЬрд┐рд╕рдиреЗ рднрд╛рд░рдд рдХреЛ рдЖрдЬрд╛рджреА рджрд┐рд▓рд╛рдХрд░ рдкреВрд░реА рджреБрдирд┐рдпрд╛ рдореЗрдВ рдЬрдирддрд╛ рдХреЗ рдирд╛рдЧрд░рд┐рдХ рдЕрдзрд┐рдХрд╛рд░реЛрдВ рдПрд╡рдВ рд╕реНрд╡рддрдиреНрддреНрд░рддрд╛ рдХреЗ рдкреНрд░рддрд┐ рдЖрдиреНрджреЛрд▓рди рдХреЗ рд▓рд┐рдпреЗ рдкреНрд░реЗрд░рд┐рдд рдХрд┐рдпрд╛ред рдЙрдиреНрд╣реЗрдВ рджреБрдирд┐рдпрд╛ рдореЗрдВ рдЖрдо рдЬрдирддрд╛ рдорд╣рд╛рддреНрдорд╛ рдЧрд╛рдВрдзреА рдХреЗ рдирд╛рдо рд╕реЗ рдЬрд╛рдирддреА рд╣реИред рд╕рдВрд╕реНрдХреГрдд рднрд╛рд╖рд╛ рдореЗрдВ рдорд╣рд╛рддреНрдорд╛ рдЕрдерд╡рд╛ рдорд╣рд╛рди рдЖрддреНрдорд╛ рдПрдХ рд╕рдореНрдорд╛рди рд╕реВрдЪрдХ рд╢рдмреНрдж рд╣реИред рдЧрд╛рдВрдзреА рдХреЛ рдорд╣рд╛рддреНрдорд╛ рдХреЗ рдирд╛рдо рд╕реЗ рд╕рдмрд╕реЗ рдкрд╣рд▓реЗ резрепрезрел рдореЗрдВ рд░рд╛рдЬрд╡реИрджреНрдп рдЬреАрд╡рд░рд╛рдо рдХрд╛рд▓рд┐рджрд╛рд╕ рдиреЗ рд╕рдВрдмреЛрдзрд┐рдд рдХрд┐рдпрд╛ рдерд╛ред[1]ред рдЙрдиреНрд╣реЗрдВ рдмрд╛рдкреВ (рдЧреБрдЬрд░рд╛рддреА рднрд╛рд╖рд╛ рдореЗрдВ ркмрк╛рккрлБ рдмрд╛рдкреВ рдпрд╛рдиреА рдкрд┐рддрд╛) рдХреЗ рдирд╛рдо рд╕реЗ рднреА рдпрд╛рдж рдХрд┐рдпрд╛ рдЬрд╛рддрд╛ рд╣реИред рд╕реБрднрд╛рд╖ рдЪрдиреНрджреНрд░ рдмреЛрд╕ рдиреЗ рем рдЬреБрд▓рд╛рдИ резрепрекрек рдХреЛ рд░рдВрдЧреВрди рд░реЗрдбрд┐рдпреЛ рд╕реЗ рдЧрд╛рдВрдзреА рдЬреА рдХреЗ рдирд╛рдо рдЬрд╛рд░реА рдкреНрд░рд╕рд╛рд░рдг рдореЗрдВ рдЙрдиреНрд╣реЗрдВ рд░рд╛рд╖реНрдЯреНрд░рдкрд┐рддрд╛ рдХрд╣рдХрд░ рд╕рдореНрдмреЛрдзрд┐рдд рдХрд░рддреЗ рд╣реБрдП рдЖрдЬрд╝рд╛рдж рд╣рд┐рдиреНрдж рдлреМрдЬрд╝ рдХреЗ рд╕реИрдирд┐рдХреЛрдВ рдХреЗ рд▓рд┐рдпреЗ рдЙрдирдХрд╛ рдЖрд╢реАрд░реНрд╡рд╛рдж рдФрд░ рд╢реБрднрдХрд╛рдордирд╛рдПрдБ рдорд╛рдБрдЧреАрдВ рдереАрдВред[2] рдкреНрд░рддрд┐ рд╡рд░реНрд╖ реи рдЕрдХреНрдЯреВрдмрд░ рдХреЛ рдЙрдирдХрд╛ рдЬрдиреНрдо рджрд┐рди рднрд╛рд░рдд рдореЗрдВ рдЧрд╛рдВрдзреА рдЬрдпрдВрддреА рдХреЗ рд░реВрдк рдореЗрдВ рдФрд░ рдкреВрд░реЗ рд╡рд┐рд╢реНрд╡ рдореЗрдВ рдЕрдиреНрддрд░реНрд░рд╛рд╖реНрдЯреНрд░реАрдп рдЕрд╣рд┐рдВрд╕рд╛ рджрд┐рд╡рд╕ рдХреЗ рдирд╛рдо рд╕реЗ рдордирд╛рдпрд╛ рдЬрд╛рддрд╛ рд╣реИред

Please fix this if possible.

1 Like

I saw exactly what you mean when I cut and pasted your example into an open document -- the cursor is far ahead of the text, but the backspace isn't and it would drive me batty to try to move to a single character to edit.

There is a work-around for reasons that are a mystery to me, but may work for you.

Open a new Rmd file and paste your text. If you have my experience you'll see the same thing. But if you save and then without closing File | Reopen with Encoding [UTF-8], the behavior reverts to normal, as far as I can tell, since I'm totally unfamiliar with that alphabet.

Thanks a lot for explaining things to me. But I don't think it's feasible to open it like that for every next Rmd file. Please help me out with it.

and it's not just in Rmd. I got the indian election data today. somehow when I translated into data.frame it has the same problem there as well.

columns like this translates to.

I would totally understand when there aren't enough libraries for sentiment analysis or language usage per se in Hindi. But at least basic writing and data frames should be able to show it.

however it works well with graphs and vectors but with data frame it doesn't show me the data.

Please do tell me how can I fix these things. It is highly practical for me especially when I will try to analyse the twitter and facebook data in a month.

Although rstudio developers are also part of this community, I think you have better chances if you file an issue on github.

Thanks for replying. I thought there might be something that I don't know about text editer.

And even after reopening the file with utf-8 as @technocrat mentioned. It doesn't solve the problem.

So I have opened a github issue.

Just as a clarification, we don't open issues here per se, we ask for help to other users and we try to help each other, this is a community of users, that is why I advise you to open an issue on github, because that is the right place to report a bug and ask for a fix.

1 Like

:rofl:

That's exactly what I am trying to say. I was looking for help and now I have opened an issue on github.

I just remark that, because this text is a little confusing, so, do not take me wrong, there is no bullying here, this is not stack overflow :rofl:

2 Likes

I am really very sorry. By issue I meant question. English is not my primary language so I do make such mistakes.

Never mind, english is not my native language too, so I totally understand you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.