R Studio not starting after uninstalling and reinstalling

Error Information:

R Studio will not open (Macbook Pro).

Description of issue -
R Studio Version 2021.09.2+382 shows up as an icon on the homescreen after installation (although the color is fainter than normal) but will not open when I click on it. I was previously using an older version but it was getting slow so uninstalled it and reinstalled this version.

I have also uninstalled my older R and reinstalled Version 4.1.2 GUI High Sierra build.
Attempted steps taken to fix -
I tried to open an Rmd file to see whether I could force R studio to work, but it will not.

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled R and R Studio a few times. Of course, I've turned my computer off and on numerous times. Nothing has helped.

System Information:

• RStudio Edition: Desktop
  • RStudio Version: 2021.09.2+382
  • OS Version: Catalina Versionn 10.15.6
  • R Version: 4.1.2 GUI High Sierra build
  • Output your diagnostics report (if possible):

From RStudio Desktop Will Not Start on support.rstudio.com

Can you find and start your R install from a terminal window?

If you have Catalina on an older Macbook Pro, the solution may be here:

Thanks, @EconProf. My MacBook is old (2017) but not old enough for that fix to work. Thanks though!

Hi Phil. Yes, I tried that but there were too many errors in the terminal installation.

I'm still stuck with an apparently installed RStudio app (R itself works fine) that does not open.

I was now able to install RStudio via homebrew in the command line. However, it still won't open.

The same problem occurs. When I click on the RStudio icon to try to open it, I just get a bouncing RStudio icon in the task bar that won't open.

Great news. I had a pop-up in the background that was not visible asking if I was sure I wanted to open RStudio. Once I found it, the problem was solved! :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.