R studio starts with a blank white screen

I am using R version 3.4.4 on Ubuntu 17.10, even though R works I am unable to start RStudio.

Diagnostics report

12 Apr 2018 16:38:58 [rdesktop] ERROR R did not return any output when queried for directory location information; LOGGED FROM: bool rstudio::core::r_util::{anonymous}::detectRLocationsUsingR(const string&, rstudio::core::FilePath*, rstudio::core::FilePath*, rstudio::core::config_utils::Variables*, std::__cxx11::string*) /home/ubuntu/rstudio/src/cpp/core/r_util/REnvironmentPosix.cpp:483
12 Apr 2018 16:38:59 [rdesktop] ERROR system error 71 (Protocol error) [description=Unable to parse version from R, version-info=, r-error=Fatal error: unable to open the base package

]; OCCURRED AT: rstudio::core::Error rstudio::core::r_util::rVersion(const rstudio::core::FilePath&, const rstudio::core::FilePath&, const string&, std::__cxx11::string*) /home/ubuntu/rstudio/src/cpp/core/r_util/REnvironmentPosix.cpp:784; LOGGED FROM: bool rstudio::core::r_util::detectREnvironment(const rstudio::core::FilePath&, const rstudio::core::FilePath&, const string&, std::__cxx11::string*, std::__cxx11::string*, rstudio::core::r_util::EnvironmentVars*, std::__cxx11::string*) /home/ubuntu/rstudio/src/cpp/core/r_util/REnvironmentPosix.cpp:678

Using R script: /home/kishore/software/R/R-3.4.3/bin/R

Attempting to launch R session...
  RSTUDIO_WHICH_R=/home/kishore/software/R/R-3.4.3/bin/R
  R_HOME=/home/kishore/software/R/R-3.4.3/lib/R
  R_DOC_DIR=/home/kishore/software/R/R-3.4.3/lib/R/doc
  R_INCLUDE_DIR=/home/kishore/software/R/R-3.4.3/lib/R/include
  R_SHARE_DIR=/home/kishore/software/R/R-3.4.3/lib/R/share
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/kishore/software/R/R-3.4.3/lib/R/lib::/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/server
  PATH=PATH=/usr/local/src/R:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin:/home/kishore/Documents/tools/geckodriver-v0.19.0-linux64/
  HOME=/home/kishore

R session launched, attempting to connect on port 20169...
12 Apr 2018 16:38:59 [rsession-kishore] ERROR R SUICIDE: unable to open the base package
; LOGGED FROM: void {anonymous}::rSuicide(const string&) /home/ubuntu/rstudio/src/cpp/session/SessionMain.cpp:1023

Connected to R session, attempting to initialize...

QApplication::qAppName: Please instantiate the QApplication object first

How do I change the path where R studio is looking , for example RSTUDIO_WHICH_R=/home/kishore/software/R/R-3.4.3/bin/R to new place where I manually installed R 3.4.4

Thanks for your help !!

1 Like

I don't have an answer, but I have had this before (but in Windows) and I know what caused mine. If I'm using RStudio desktop to work on a project on my corp intranet over VPN, then I close RStudio, close the VPN, then reopen RStudio, I get this behavior. I suspect RStudio tries to open the last project that was open and if that path is no longer available then it hangs...

Maybe try opening a local RStudio project file directly in finder?

Thanks jdlong, I tried it but didnt work , I am trying to change the source file where Rstudio checks for location of bin files. I figured I have installed R 3.4.4 in a different location, I need to say rstudio initiator script to look in the newly installed directory rather than previous directory.

5 posts were split to a new topic: After starting Rstudio the icon only "blinks" but nothing happens

Hi kishore!

Close RStudio and delete the following files:

1. C: > users > username > AppData > Local > RStudio-Desktop
  2. C: > users > username > AppData > Roaming > RStudio

Dive back into RStudio. (No restart required.)

Logic: The causes and symptoms can vary, but clearing these files flushes the program - data (working files) saved elsewhere will remain.

Enjoy!

shawn

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.