R studio stopped working when updated macOS Catalina

Hi all,

I just updated MacOS Catalina (10.15.2) and I'm having lots of troubles to use RStudio again with normality.

When I open the project this appears:

Error attempting to read history from ~/Desktop/.Rhistory: permission denied (is the .Rhistory file owned by root?)
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
job-working-directory: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
WARNING: Failed to restore workspace from '~/Desktop/.RData'
Reason: cannot open the connection

And when I try to "Run App" I get this:

Warning in readLines(file, warn = FALSE) :
cannot open file '/Users/project_name.R': Operation not permitted
Error in readLines(file, warn = FALSE) : cannot open the connection

Do you know what can be happening? I'm really stuck with this :frowning:
Please help me!
Thank you so much in advance!

System details

RStudio Version: 1.2.5033
OS Version: macOS Catalina (10.15.2)
R Version: 3.6.2

Catalina has new security rules that limit applications' access to a number of folders (including Desktop and some other folders under (or all of?) /Users). Typically, you're prompted to grant access to the folders when the application is trying to access them. If you're not seeing those pop-ups, you might go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Files and Folders and add RStudio and the relevant folders there. Failing that, a reinstall of RStudio might trigger the prompts.

4 Likes

You are right! Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Solved!

If your question's been answered (even by you!), would you mind choosing a solution? It helps other people see which questions still need help, or find solutions if they have similar problems. Here’s how to do it:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.