R Views - Basic FDA Descriptive Statistics with R

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://rviews.rstudio.com/2021/05/14/basic-fda-descriptive-statistics-with-r

In a previous post, I introduced the topic of Functional Data Analysis (FDA). In that post, I provided some background on Functional Analysis, the mathematical theory that makes FDA possible, identified FDA resources that might be of interest R users, and showed how to turn a series of data points into an FDA object. In this post, I will pick up where I left off and move on to doing some very basic FDA descriptive statistics.

Let’s continue with the same motivating example from last time. We will use synthetic data generated by a Brownian motion process and pretend that it is observed longitudinal data. However, before getting to the statistics, I would like to take a tiny, tidy diversion. The functions in fda and other fundamental FDA R packages require data structured in matrices. Consequently, the examples in the basic FDA reference works (listed below) construct matrices using code that seems to be convenient for the occasion. I think this makes adapting sample code to user data a little harder than it needs to be. There ought to be standard data structures for working with FDA data. I propose tibbles or data frames with function values packed into lists.

Read on at

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.