R with Go language

Dear,

Do you know any interesting APIs for communicating Go codes with R? Romain François wrote about it in 2017. See: here.

Has there ever been a package or is there any project in that direction?

Go seems to me to be a very interesting language to communicate with the R because Go is a simple and efficient language.

Best regards,
Pedro Rafael.

There seem to be some baby steps in that direction: Go-R

I had seen. It seems to be a very initial project yet. I thought I could have another project in parallel.

It seems that something is already much more advanced using Rust. See here.

Best regards,
Pedro Rafael.

It sure does seem further along. What I'd also love to see is Haskell. But don't tell anyone. The big men in the white coats will straitjacket me and take me away.

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

Haskell is a very elegant language. The Pandoc heavily used by R Markdown and Bookdown was implemented in Haskell. Haskell compilers are evolving a lot. Many here speak ill of Haskell because of the purism of functions.

Best regards,
Pedro Rafael.

2 Likes

I love purity in theory, but until the scars from I/O go away, I might put it aside for Go, instead.

I haven't seen anyone here ever say anything bad about Haskell. But, to be fair, it was maybe mentioned once a twice (and even then by me :slight_smile:).

R is functional at heart, so for me R and Haskell are quite similar, actually.

1 Like

Haskell is a great language. For me, one of its important features and have positively influenced several other programming languages.

When it comes to Go, I find it very interesting that errors can be returned without the need for treatments. Something also interesting are goroutines.

Go has Ken Thompson as one of the developers.

Best regards.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.