Raspberry Pi as a viable Shiny server

I am considering setting up a Raspberry Pi to run a Shiny server with a "home dashboard" app - a list of daily tasks, the time for next train, menu in school cafeteria & so on.

In other words I am holding a R shaped answer and I am looking at the world as a set of R shaped problems.

My question is whether someone else has tried running Shiny server on the Raspberry Pi and whether it was a viable platform. Going by the specs the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ should be just about able to manage a simple Shiny app, but I am not sure.

4 Likes

Recently I have installed shiny server on a raspberry pi 3 B+, as a backup server, for a simple shiny app that I use for my business.
Performance is slow, especially for plotting, but overall it's usable.
If you have troubles installing shiny server on your pi, get in touch with me, I can share what I have learned about it.

4 Likes

I have considered using that new functionality, but my input data changes on a daily basis so for my particular application, I see no point at the end.

I just have all the bash commands that I have used to setup my server written on a txt.

This includes installing nginx, R 3.5.1, postgresql and shiny server

1 Like

A blog post would certainly make for a great read for a lot of people!

2 Likes

I'd love to see a blog post on that. I'd also be happy to write it up if you'd prefer not to but didn't mind sharing that txt file?

Would be useful/interesting to a lot of people I'm sure.

1 Like

I have no blog but I have made this post https://community.rstudio.com/t/setting-up-your-own-shiny-server-on-a-raspberry-pi-3b/18982?u=andresrcs you can go from there.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

In addition, I don't know if you know it but may be you could try plot caching for shiny in order to reduce the slowness of plots.

Thank you for your advice and kind words; I will go forward with the little project. I will try myself at first, but if I hit a snag I will take your offer :slight_smile:

This is very exciting. Have you written it up anywhere?

Good luck my friend, just be prepared for a lot of compiling and waiting :+1:

1 Like

Are you going to document how you make it work? I would be very interested to see how it goes.