Read from Network Drive to RStudio WorkBench

I have a script I run in my local RStudio IDE that reads data from a network drive (running on Windows).

I am trying to set this script up in RStudio Workbench, but have so far been unable to recreate the connection to the network drive.

Is there a way to read data into RStudio workbench from a network file share?

Welcome to the forums! \o/ \o/

The short answer is yes, but their are different cybersecurity "shenanigans"(*) for each different type of network share. By "shenanigans", I mean you need to work with you Cybersecurity as best practices are not universal across network-shares because the vendor lock-in especially Microsoft--so what you have to do might seem a bit ... silly.

My question for you is what kind of network share do you have at this time?
(listed in order of least to most Cybersecurity shenanigans):

• Any kind of SQL, T-SQL, PostgreSQL database
  • Is it an SMB / SAMBA?
  • A PAM?
  • Is it an Dell EMC Isilon server?
  • Tableau Data Management Studio?
  • IBM Spectrum Scale?
  • A literal folder on someone computer? (this is NAS or Windows NT Share)
  • A Github
  • Posgresql or GIS Network Share (ESRI / Pitney Bowes)?
  • AWS network share (like an S3 bucket)?
  • Google container?
  • Google drive?
  • A Socrata Database (Criminal Justice data)?
  • Teams onedrive?
  • Business onedrive?
  • Sharepoint?
  • IBM Cognos?
  • ICloud Drive?
  • A DropBox or Boxly?
  • A FTP/SCP Server?

Do you require Multifactor Authentication or a VPN to access the network share? If you do require VPN who is the provider of the VPN (ie what app or program do you use)?
PaloAlto and Jumpcloud are very familar with helping with Rstudio workbench. Pretty much all the major MFA providers are familar.

Where is your Rstudio Workbench located? Is it in the cloud (ie Microsoft, AWS, Google)? Or is it on VMWare/Baremetal? Or is it on Docker/Kubernetes?

One of the challenges is that your network share and Rstudio workbench have to be in the same network or virtualized network. So have to get the two networks talking to each other if you want a stable network share communication.

Do you having LDAP/Active Directory for your Rstudio workbench?

Finally, an alternative to network shares are to use pins and plumber package to turn your network share into an API for Rstudio. For Pins, I am not an expert in this so I may message one of my good friends who is in case your network share is one of the more annoying types--like Microsoft.

This is all super helpful thank you! As far as your questions:

what kind of network share do you have at this time?
The share comes from a cloud storage solution called 'Nasuni'. Their website says SMB file access is provided.

Do you require Multifactor Authentication or a VPN to access the network share?
Yes VPN connection is required to access the share and our provider is 'Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client'.

Where is your Rstudio Workbench located? Is it in the cloud (ie Microsoft, AWS, Google)? Or is it on VMWare/Baremetal? Or is it on Docker/Kubernetes?
In AWS on a EC2 server.

Do you having LDAP/Active Directory for your Rstudio workbench?
We have SAML setup for Authentication

Thanks again for your help. Please let me know what your suggestions are based on this information.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.