reticulate ssl import error

I am using rstudio-server on a remote linux box with an anaconda python 3.7.4 virtual environment.

For the most part, everything is working fine. I can create a .py script within Rstudio, write code in it, and execute to console.

However, there appears to be some sort of path issue as I cannot import ssl or modules that depend on openssl (e.g. praw, tweepy). Specifically, I get the error:

ImportError: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.1: version `OPENSSL_1_1_1' not found 
(required by /home/joe/anaconda2/envs/ddr_test/lib/python3.7/lib-dynload/_ssl.cpython-37m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so)

I do have a working version of openssl and these packages are installed and importable within my conda environment. The error is only thrown when I try to import into a reticulate python session within my rstudio-server IDE.

I've searched around for some time, but have not found a solution (at least not one that I've been able to implement). Any insight would be much appreciated.

1 Like

The problem is that the version of OpenSSL required by packages in your Conda environment does not match the one installed on your system.

When RStudio is launched, it loads OpenSSL from the system -- I'm guessing from this path on your system:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libssl.so.1.1

You might need to force RStudio (or rather, the underlying R session) to use the version of libssl shipped with your Conda environment.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.