RJava loads on Terminal but fails to load on Rstudio

I am trying to load the RJava on RStudio and I am getting this error message.

> library(rJava)
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘rJava’:
 .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rJava', details:
  call: dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...)
  error: unable to load shared object '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/rJava/libs/rJava.so':
  dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/rJava/libs/rJava.so, 6): Library not loaded: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-11.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home/lib/server/libjvm.dylib
  Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.6/Resources/library/rJava/libs/rJava.so
  Reason: image not found

However, it works when I load on Terminal.

If someone can help me to solve this I would appreciate.

I am using a macOS Catalina Version 10.15.2
R version 3.6.1
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)
RStudio Version 1.2.5001

It looks like there is a missing link between Java and RStudio. It's been a while since I installed rJava on my machine and the following is from my notes for installing tabulizer packge (late 2017/early 2018).

Assuming Java and Java Development Kit is installed (they aren't installed together), run the following line in the R console. If there are any errors, check to see if the paths exist.

dyn.load(paste0(system2('/usr/libexec/java_home', stdout = TRUE), '/jre/lib/server/libjvm.dylib'))

If it is successful, then install rJava. See the original tabulizer thread for more information on installing rJava and linking it with RStudio. I think this should work. Let me know if it doesn't and I will investigate my old scripts to see if I updated this code.

Hi dcruvolo,

Thank you for your answer. I tried what you suggested and I am getting an error. Apparently the first path exists but "'/jre/lib/server/libjvm.dylib'" doesn't.

I checked the Java and JDK version installed and I have

13.0.1, x86_64: "Java SE 13.0.1" /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-13.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home*
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk-13.0.1.jdk/Contents/Home*

Sorry, to hear you are having difficulties. Things have definitely changed since the last time I set up rJava. I found this rJava issue and I was able to get rJava working on my machine (although I'm on Mojave 10.14.6). Does running the following command work?

R CMD javareconf

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.