Rmarkdown citation style with BibTex: How do I change citation style?

Goal

So I am not sure if this is more of a question on how rmarkdown integrates LaTeX or if it is a question on LaTeX itself, but I am trying to change to citation style in a paper I am writing. My citations all have ()'s around the year and I would like some to have parenthesis around the author as well as the year.

Also, I don't know if it makes a difference but I am using Zotero to make my BibTeX file.

YAML

title: "Phase Picking from Seismic Wave-forms: A deep learning application for identifying earthquakes"
author: "Bryan R Thomas"
header-includes: \usepackage{amsmath}
                 \usepackage{graphicx}
                 \usepackage{natbib}
                 \bibliographystyle{abbrvnat}
                 \setcitestyle{authoryear,open={((},close={))}}
date: "5/1/2021"
output: pdf_document
bibliography: path_to_paper/sac2EqT_paper.bib

BibTeX Item

@misc{thomas_sac2eqtransformr_2021,
	title = {{sac2EQTransformR}},
	copyright = {GPL-3.0 License         ,                 GPL-3.0 License},
	url = {https://gitlab.com/Bryanrt-geophys/sac2eqtransformr},
	abstract = {Wrangle by-hand seismic waveform label data from methods such as SEISMOS and build a retraining model for the deep-learning packages such as EQTransformer},
	urldate = {2021-05-03},
	author = {Thomas, Bryan},
	month = apr,
	year = {2021},
	file = {Snapshot:/Users/jolante/Zotero/storage/VP4W5VN4/sac2eqtransformr.html:text/html},
}

Citing

I have been experimenting with the \setcitestyle{} command but I am not having much progress.

I can successfully place a reference from my .bib file with something like@thomas_sac2eqtransformr_2021 referencing the citation info from my .bib file. This yields

Thomas, Bryan (2021)

and If I use \citep{@thomas_sac2eqtransformr_2021} to try to use the setcitestyle preferences I set in the YAML, I'm returned with

((?))

It appears that my setcitestyle preferences are working but I can't pass my .bib handle the way I did before. Does anyone have experience with this that they could share? All help is apreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.