rmarkdown::render_site fails on Ubuntu but not Windows

I am trying to build R for Data Science. I have it loaded as an RStudio project, and I cloned it directly from the R4DS repository using the functionality built into RStudio.

After pressing Build Website or running rmarkdown::render_site(encoding = 'UTF-8'), I get this error:

Error in rmarkdown::render_site(encoding = "UTF-8") : 
  No site generator found.

This happens on a pretty clean and fully patched Ubuntu 19.10 VM. I am running R 3.6.1 and RStudio 1.2.5033. I installed the rmarkdown package, and I have all packages on the current release.

The weird thing is I do not get this error on my Windows 10 machine. The main difference I can spot is I am running R 3.6.3 on Windows.

I am unclear how to proceed. This setup appears to be correct, and it is baffling that it would work on Windows but not Ubuntu. I am going to attempt to upgrade R to 3.6.3 and see if that makes a difference.

I upgraded R to 3.6.3 using the instructions in https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/README.html. I still get this error.

Take a look at Section 5.3.

Thank you. It doesn't fail immediately, so working through it now.

I still wonder why this book's build fails using the expected and best supported way.

1 Like

I'd have to go back and read in some detail, but I think that the template for rendering bookdown is different from knitr for a web page.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.