rmarkdown::render_site fails on Ubuntu but not Windows

I am trying to build R for Data Science. I have it loaded as an RStudio project, and I cloned it directly from the R4DS repository using the functionality built into RStudio.

After pressing Build Website or running rmarkdown::render_site(encoding = 'UTF-8'), I get this error:

Error in rmarkdown::render_site(encoding = "UTF-8") : 
  No site generator found.

This happens on a pretty clean and fully patched Ubuntu 19.10 VM. I am running R 3.6.1 and RStudio 1.2.5033. I installed the rmarkdown package, and I have all packages on the current release.

The weird thing is I do not get this error on my Windows 10 machine. The main difference I can spot is I am running R 3.6.3 on Windows.

I am unclear how to proceed. This setup appears to be correct, and it is baffling that it would work on Windows but not Ubuntu. I am going to attempt to upgrade R to 3.6.3 and see if that makes a difference.

I upgraded R to 3.6.3 using the instructions in https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/README.html. I still get this error.

Take a look at Section 5.3.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Thank you. It doesn't fail immediately, so working through it now.

I still wonder why this book's build fails using the expected and best supported way.

1 Like

I'd have to go back and read in some detail, but I think that the template for rendering bookdown is different from knitr for a web page.