Regarding my RStudio configuration: I remember to have followed some best-practice guide how to configure the IDE. The rendering engine was set to
Auto-detect (recommended). I changed that to
Software. I sourced my script, it ran through fine after the RStudio restart, but the console became unresponsive. And there's no auto-completion in the editor. And I cannot save any changes nor quit the application. So, this setting does not change the behavior.
My code indeed has two variables with underscores. The GitHub issue linked is closed as resolved as of May 2023. My RStudio is:
Version 2023.09.1+494. I waited about 30 min to see if the process
rsession-arm64 stopped maxing out a core and the IDE to become responsive again, which it did not, so I terminated the parent process
RStudio. I lost unsaved changes. After opening RStudio again, I disabled
Show diagnostics for R as suggested in the closed GitHub issue. This does not change anything.
Please advise. Thank you for your support.