RSPM git builder doesn't build vignette

Hi folks - finally an opportunity for a succinct title! I just went to demo a package (that I'd installed from RSPM) for some teammates and couldn't find my own vignette, and after the meeting discovered that I wasn't accessing it wrong, it didn't exist. This triggered a memory of the last time this happened (lol) where the cause was that install_bitbucket() defaults to build_vignettes = FALSE.

I looked through the RSPM documentation and didn't find any information on how to pass parameters to the git builder. There's not a lot of info on how the git builder works under the hood, but I'm guessing now that it uses install_bitbucket!

Any guidance on how to make my (commit-triggered) company-internal R package build with a vignette on RSPM? Thanks!

edit: Running v 1.1.2-10 on CentOS7

1 Like

I ran into this problem today and haven't a clue how to deal with it. Did you find a solution?

I emailed RStudio paid support about it, and they said that (as of 8/26/2020) "RSPM does not support building vignettes".

Their suggestions were:

1. Pre-build the vignette, so it shows up in inst/doc, and commit that OR
  2. Manually build the package with R CMD build and upload to RSPM as a tarball OR
  3. Make a separate git branch with CI that mirrors the prod branch, but prebuilds vignettes and use that for RSPM

I went with #1 because my vignettes are sort of static, but I'm not thrilled with the situation. If I can add any more detail to this post, let me know

1 Like

Thanks for the info. It's not the answer I was hoping for but it's good to know.

#1 will work well enough for me, but where do I put the .html file so it gets included in the install? I tried putting it in vignettes/, doc/, and inst/ but it's not available after installing.

The doc folder INSIDE inst is where I put it. Then you gotta make sure you don't let devtools::check delete it.

That did the trick. Thanks so much for your help!

Couldn't miss a chance to remedy having been That Guy who posted their problem but not their solution