rstan stopped working on RStudio Cloud in last two weeks

I have been using a RStudio Cloud project to teach rstan to biostatisticians at University of Birmingham.

I installed rstan in my project following the proof-of-concept project by Ben Goodrich. Everything was working great on Sat 16th Feb 2019, when I last created and ran materials.

Some time in between then and now, rstan has stopped working on RStudio Cloud. I do not think I have changed any configuration. I noticed Ben's project has stopped working too so I contacted him. Ben thinks it is related to memory usage. My error message (below) does not mention memory.

Does anyone know why it is failing?
If it is memory, can I apply or pay for more?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Kristian

> fit <- stan(file = '8schools/8schools.stan', data = schools_dat,
+             iter = 1000, chains = 4)
Error in compileCode(f, code, language = language, verbose = verbose) : 
  Compilation ERROR, function(s)/method(s) not created! In file included from /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.5/BH/include/boost/smart_ptr/shared_ptr.hpp:28:0,
                 from /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.5/BH/include/boost/shared_ptr.hpp:17,
                 from /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.5/StanHeaders/include/stan/math/prim/mat/fun/LDLT_factor.hpp:7,
                 from /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.5/StanHeaders/include/stan/math/prim/mat/err/check_ldlt_factor.hpp:6,
                 from /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.5/StanHeaders/include/stan/math/prim/mat.hpp:33,
                 from /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.5/StanHeaders/include/stan/math/rev/mat.hpp:12,
                 from /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/3.5/StanHeaders/include/stan/math.hpp:4,
                 from /home/rstudio-user/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-libr
In addition: Warning message:
In system(cmd, intern = !verbose) :
  running command '/opt/R/3.5.0/lib/R/bin/R CMD SHLIB filec31d84872c.cpp 2> filec31d84872c.cpp.err.txt' had status 1
Error in sink(type = "output") : invalid connection

I believe that is the error one sees when a stan model fails to compile due to running out of memory.

There is a limit of 1 GB at the moment, we expect to make more available in the future.

I was able to run Ben's project after I updated a number of packages though.

Thanks for looking at that Josh, and for the helpful reply. Good to hear.
I really appreciate RStudio Cloud - it is such a great tool for teaching and collaborating.
Kristian

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.