Rstudio 1.1: A buggy version?

(No more items in my list of one ideas)

2 Likes

Thanks @nick but that did not help.

1 Like

This is a known issue with the daily builds of RStudio on macOS (they unintentionally require a Homebrew installation of OpenSSL). I'd recommend sticking with the current release (v1.1.383) for now; the daily builds are currently undergoing some churn and may take some more time to become stable. We do plan on releasing a patch release of RStudio v1.1 after we've gotten to the bottom of the various issues that have been reported.

For anyone experiencing random crashes on macOS, you may be running afoul of an issue in the data.table package (unfortunately caused by a bad interaction with the toolchain used to build R).

If you are indeed using data.table (either directly in one of your RStudio projects, or perhaps it's a dependency of an R package you're working on) you might want to try installing the development version with:

devtools::install_github("Rdatatable/data.table")

Thank you @kevinushey but at least in my case it seems to have nothing to do with data.table. I verified and I do not even have it installed:

> remove.packages("data.table")
Removing package from ‘/Users/frans/Library/R/3.4/library’ (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
Error in remove.packages : there is no package called ‘data.table’

I updated to v1.1.383 relatively late, and problems only started after doing so. I have noticed that if I do not work in a project (Project:(None)) it crashes less frequently. Other than that I have seen no method in the madness.

Are there any dependencies (like the openssl dependency for v1.2) that I could check?

Thank you for posting this. Experience lots of crashing on macOS recent days, driving me crazy...

As far as we know, OpenSSL is the only (unintended) external dependency of the v1.2 branch right now; we plan to fix this up soon. I would recommend sticking with v1.1 for now.

The only other thing I could suggest is trying to figure out if you can reliably reproduce the crash with a consistent set of actions within the IDE. You might also want to ensure any packages you're using are up-to-date with e.g.

update.packages(checkBuilt = TRUE)

The other thing you might try is resetting RStudio's state. For any projects in which you're seeing this crash, you might want to try moving the (hidden) .Rproj.user folder to a backed-up location, to effectively reset any project-specific state.

@kevinushey @hendiatris I think the reason for the crashes I experienced was in my code somehow. I worked on the package in an editor for the past few days and solved a couple of:

Error in value[[jvseq[[jjj]]]] : subscript out of bounds

errors. There were more issues, but somehow the Error in value[[jvseq[[jjj]]]] where not showing up in RStudio, so that is why I suspect something is going on there. Because going back to RStudio today my issues building the package have gone!

I am having (not yet) reproducible hangs in RStudio that require force-quitting RStudio.

Running: RStudio v1.1.383, on Mac OS X 10.11.6

Have not tried to make it reproducible, but the hangs generally occur while tidyverse is loaded and I'm trying to pipe a bunch of mutate / transmutes. When it's hung, Activity Monitor does not show RStudio as being particularly active Also, while hung, RStudio does not display the little 'stop sign' icon. Attempting to restart the R session does not work (it allows me to CMD-shift-F10, but nothing happens). No error messages displayed, just hangs.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Reproducible hanging when attempting to knit an .Rmd document.

• hangs when I attempt to knit, when I have the project open, requiring me to force quit RStudio. Also hangs if I either choose the restart R and run all chunks, or just try to run the chunk where it hangs

• knits fine, when I open the .Rmd file without having the project open.

Any ideas why I can't have the project open and knit the document?

It's becoming pretty impossible to get work done, and I'm worried that the constant force-quitting is going to corrupt something at some point.

I just wanted to see if anyone had a workaround of sorts regarding the RStudio 1.1.383 crashing when changing fonts. I ask because with the updated tibbles the bolded column names are misaligned with Lucida Console. As I dig the other aspects of the recent tibble update I wanted to give a font change a shot, but I've refrained from toying around with that as (since updating to 1.1.383) fonts have been "off limits", so to speak, as they always crash the IDE for me (Win10 x64).

Does anyone here know of a way to get past the crashing stage, or manually changing the fonts outside of the IDE (is such a thing possible)?

Many thanks in advance :slight_smile:

On Windows, these preferences are stored in a file at:

%APPDATA%\RStudio\desktop.ini

where %APPDATA% is an environment variable typically expanding to the directory AppData\Roaming within your user home folder.

In the [General] section of that file, you can set an entry font.fixedWidth to the font you want to use. For example, this is what my desktop.ini looks like:

[General]
RBinDir=C:/R/R-3.4.3patched/bin/i386
view.zoomLevel=1
font.fixedWidth=Consolas

[mainwindow]
geometry=@ByteArray(\x1\xd9\xd0\xcb\0\x2\0\0\xff\xff\xff\xf8\xff\xff\xff\xf8\0\0\n\a\0\0\x5\x7f\0\0\0\x6\0\0\0:\0\0\x5\x3\0\0\x5\x91\0\0\0\0\x2\0\0\0\n\0)

I'd love to know what's causing the crash, though -- would you mind generating a diagnostics report, just in case it provides any useful information?

1 Like

Thank you very much for the info Kevin. I've messaged you regarding the diagnostics report :slight_smile:

Related to this, does anyone know when will be the next version released? (hopefully solving these issues)