RStudio 1.2.1335 on Ubuntu 18.04.2 with Wacom Intuos small tablet

Hi.
I just upgraded to the latest RStudio, R 3.4.4 and all my packages are up to date too. My machine is running ubuntu 18.04.2. I use a small Wacom Intuos pen and tablet as a disability aid instead of a mouse or trackpad; up till now this has worked fine with everything I've tried, without an added driver (this is good, because the driver is sometimes a pain). I don't have a special driver for it right now.

Since the RStudio upgrade, the tablet is working fine with all the menus and some of the buttons (Knit, for example, is absolutely fine, as are Save and Publish). However, some are not! Settings, Run and most infuriatingly Insert are completely ignoring the tablet, though they respond to the trackpad. I have tried the usual closing and re-opening and rebooting, to no avail. This makes no sense to me. I know this is a bit niche, but has anyone else seen this and found a fix?

Susannah

At the point I posted this, I hadn't quite realised that tapping the pen to relocate the cursor was highlighting units of code - words, contents of brackets etc. - so that when I started typing they got deleted. This was unusable so I've had, painfully, to roll back to the previous version of RStudio, where the tablet works just fine as a mouse. Disappointing.

Sorry to hear about this problem. We don't have an immediate answer; we're going to see if we can reproduce this using a tablet as this isn't a scenario we have tested as far as I know.

In the meantime, it would be helpful to know what happens if you try your tablet setup with RStudio Cloud, which runs in a web browser. Google Chrome would be the ideal test, because it shares the same underlying technology stack ("Chromium") we use for RStudio desktop starting with 1.2. But if you use a different browser such as FireFox, that's totally fine.

Go to https://rstudio.cloud, sign up, and try some of the same operations that are giving you trouble with the desktop version of RStudio. I'm not proposing this as a solution to your issues, just a way to help us understand what might be going wrong. Let us know what happens! Thanks.

Hi Gary!

Sorry it's been a while, I've been away. RStudio Cloud functionality seems to be fine with the tablet and both Firefox and Chromium. I can certainly insert chunks using the dropdown, and the mouse cursor doesn't highlight anything unless I want it to. My goodness, but the lag is awful from the UK though!

Not the most helpful of results, I guess. I see now the full release is out but I am very wary of installing it because rolling back the ubuntu libraries when it went wrong last time was pretty painful, and I only have one machine and need it to be working.

Susannah

Contemplating docker to try it, but I've never used it before, and won't have time until at least after this coming Tuesday.

I would like to report exactly the same issue. Every click is considered a extremely fast double click, making R-studio unusable. Using rstudio.cloud does not have this issue.
It is strange, I have been using this wacom tablet for 2 years in linux nog and have never seen this happen to any application.

Using linux mint 19.1.

edit: I have just installed rstudio 1.1.463 and this build does not contain the issue. I think it should be very easy to replicate if you have a wacom tablet (intuos) and connecting it to a linux distro.

1 Like

Is there any progress on reproducing this?

Suus

I've been having the same problem for recent versions of RStudio, but on Mac OS computers, not Linux.

I rely on Wacom tablets because of repetitive strain injuries and it's a huge pain to work in current versions of RStudio because of the rapid double-clicking behaviour of the tablet with RStudio. RStudio is the only program I've noticed the problem with and it's fine with older versions such as 1.1.463. Because every tap behaves like a double click, every tap selects a word and it's impossible to just place the cursor or select certain objects. Some buttons can't be clicked with the Wacom.

This is how single clicking is behaving with a Wacom and recent RStudio versions:
Jun-07-2019%2014-24-07

Is there any progress on this or any way I can help troubleshoot? Would it help if I shipped a Wacom to someone? :wink: Should I file a bug on GitHub?

1 Like

Some questions worth asking:

1. Do you see the same behavior in the latest daily builds of RStudio?
  2. RStudio uses a (modified version of) the Ace Editor behind the scenes. You can play with a test instance of Ace at https://ace.c9.io/build/kitchen-sink.html. Do you see the same issue there with your browser?
  3. RStudio uses QtWebEngine under the hood. Do you see this behavior with any other applications making use of QtWebEngine? (qutebrowser is one such application; alternatively, you could try to download and run some of the QtWebEngine-using examples with Qt; e.g. the Qt nano browser). Does the issue reproduce there?

Hopefully this will help us narrow down what's going on. We'll also see if we can get our hands on a Wacom tablet to try and reproduce ourselves.

1. Do you see the same behavior in the latest daily builds of RStudio?

Yes.

1. RStudio uses a (modified version of) the Ace Editor behind the scenes. Do you see the same issue there with your browser?

No.

RStudio Cloud in Google Chrome is also fine.

1. RStudio uses QtWebEngine under the hood. Do you see this behavior with any other applications making use of QtWebEngine? qutebrowser is one such application; alternatively, you could try to download and run some of the QtWebEngine-using examples with Qt; e.g. the Qt nano browser). Does the issue reproduce there?

Yes!

Jun-08-2019%2009-01-55

Looking through the Qt bug tracker and forums I haven't found anything about this specific issue, although it does look like Qt has a distinction between QTabletEvent and QMouseEvent.

This happens on two separate Mac computers of mine.

The problem happens with both the Wacom Intuos Pro and the lower-end Wacom Intuos. Those links are for the newest versions, which must have come out fairly recently. The ones I'm working with are model PTH451 (Intuos Pro) and the previous version of the lower-end Intuos. This is with the latest Wacom driver (6.3.34-2).

Strangely, sometimes when I first plug in a tablet (such as for just testing the Intuos) the click behaviour in RStudio or qutebrowser seems fine, but then it starts pseudo-double clicking pretty quickly (within a minute or so) and doesn't go away. Most times it's broken from the beginning.

1 Like
  1. I haven't been able to try this yet as I don't want to mess up the only machine I have to get my dissertation done on. I shall upgrade ubuntu on my clunky old machine and give it a try there asap.
  2. No
  3. No

Thanks for verifying! Once we get our own in-house tablet, I'll see if I can reproduce this as well and file a Qt bug report if so. I'll also see if we can find a suitable workaround.

1 Like

Some good news -- we've been able to reproduce the issue, and have a candidate fix available in the latest daily builds. Can you give the most recent daily build a download and let us know if the issue still persists?

If all looks good, then we'll plan to backport this patch to the v1.2 release.

1 Like

Just tested with rstudio-1.3.268-amd64 the problem seems to be resolved. Thank you.

1 Like

I can confirm that with the latest release, the double clicking problem is gone. Sadly there are still some buttons not working on ubuntu 18.04 (knit, run, settings, little things like that), but I guess that's a different issue and I should start that elsewhere.

Susannah

Would you mind filing this as a bug report at https://github.com/rstudio/rstudio/issues, so we don't lose track of this?

Sure! Just doing that now.

@kevinushey, thank you! I just checked back in on this thread. Indeed, that fixes it.

Hello.

Happy to have found this thread and somebody having a similar problem.

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and freshly installed the most current R and RStudio versions.
I am using an old Wacom Bamboo tablet instead of a mouse.

None of the buttons on top (File, Edit, ...) was working in 1.2.1335, also not in 1.3.330.
Everything's fine in 1.1.463, though.

Please try to make this work in the newer versions again!

Thanks,
Markus

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.