RStudio 1.3 very slow on Ubuntu 20.04LTS

I've recently upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04 and have installed RStudio 1.3.1037

I'm finding the IDE to be really laggy. It takes a second between typing and the letters appearing. Selecting a menu option is slow (Closing the "About RStudio" window took 5 seconds)

The computer seems responsive in all other applications.

Any menu selection or attempt to load a file causes the CPU to max out at 100% on one core.

I'm not sure what additional info is required, but i'm hoping that this is a simple fix (a missing or outdated library for example).

This could be related to an incompatible video driver, Have you tried changing to software rendering?, you can change it by holding the Ctrl key while opening RStudio, then you should see this menu and change the "Rendering Engine" to "Software".

Well, I'm not sure what that did. I closed RStudio and reopened it with CTRL held down.

I didn't get that menu on startup (I suspect that that might be a Windows/Linux difference) but now the IDE seems much snappier. So thanks - but I'm unsure what changed. :man_shrugging:t2:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.