Rstudio.cloud primers are hanging

Hi All,

I am teaching 50 students at Wellesley College to analyze data via R in rstudio.cloud this semester and I am loving it! Yesterday, I ran into a small glitch and wanted to report it in case it's just a matter of slightly upping server capacity.

In both of my 12-student labs yesterday (one morning, one afternoon), as soon as 10-12 of my students got going on the same primer within rstudio.cloud, all 10-12 of them started hanging, and they kept hanging until several students gave up and went on to do other things, at which point things immediately got better and stayed better.

In my experience with shinyapps.io, this sort of thing typically happens when my settings are set up in a way that doesn't support more than a few simultaneous connections. I wonder if this could be the case with the primers, and if there would be a simple setting change that either I could make for my class workspace or you could make more generally to handle this sort of traffic better?

Or, if this actually is an issue specific to my class workspace, could I create a quick fix by simply having students login with accounts that aren't attached to our class workspace?

Many thanks for providing this amazing rstudio.cloud service ... it is a total game-changer for weaning undergraduates (not to mention colleagues) from GUI-based software and getting them scripting and coding!

Gratefully,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for letting us know about your experience with the primers. We have bumped up the capacity for those so hopefully things will be better going forward. Let us know if you continue to see issues!

thanks
sam

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your help with that, much appreciated!
In my Thursday labs, the primer we were working on hung once for one student.
But otherwise, smooth sailing.
So definitely a big improvement, and maybe the single hang was a fluke?

Thanks again,
Jeremy

Hello,
I had the same problem last semester (was trying to have a lab of 24 students at Cal Poly Pomona doing a primer at the same time and it kept hanging for most of them). And I was originally not planning on doing that activity again, but after reading this post, we will give it a go again next week (plan to have multiple labs of 24 students at a time throughout next week, starting monday, doing the visualization basics primer) so hopefully we won't have these hanging up issues - will let you know if we do.

Alternatively, is there a way to download and run these primers offline?

Thanks.

The Primers for rstudio.cloud are located in this GitHub repo.

@garrett told me he plans to rearrange them some, and add a license file to make clear the intention.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.