RStudio Connect QuickStart won't start

I'm experiencing a vauge error when trying to start the rstudio-quickstart Virtual Box. It seem to import just fine, but I get this super vague error when trying to start the box.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine rstudio-quickstart-18.04-amd64-20190117-125804.

The virtual machine 'rstudio-quickstart-18.04-amd64-20190117-125804' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}

I'm using a macOS Mojave 10.14.3

When I checked the logs they appear to be empty. I don't have any previous experience with VirtualBox, so any help would be much appreciated.

-Rob

Are you certain VirtualBox is fully installed?

Starting with macOS High Sierra, kernel extensions are blocked from being installed and there is a prompt in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General with an Allow button that needs to be clicked. Once you do that, you need to run the VirtualBox installer again in order to complete installation.

3 Likes

Thank you. That did it.

For future finders with this issue, we discuss briefly on our FAQs here:

Basically, we just end up pointing to this Medium post, which has some screen shots and such.

@cole you might want to update the troubleshooting with the symptom experienced with the partial install of VirtualBox.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.