RStudio crashes on Windows 10

Hi, I recently upgraded to windows 10 and my rstudio sessions keep crashing. I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting. Does anyone have any thoughts on where to start?

Thanks

You could start by providing more information, like your R, RStudio versions and windows architecture, also, On which circumstances your R session crashes? Are you running any specific code or it crashes just by opening RStudio? How it crashes, does it give you any error message?

Thanks,

RStudio Version 1.2.1335
R Version 3.6.0 (2019-04-26)
Windows 10 Enterprise 1803, OS Build: 17134.858

I don't get any error messages, it just causes my whole monitor to go black, the fan of my computer to turn on, and crashes all instances of RStudio.

It seems to crash when I am running a query that takes more than a few seconds, but not always.

It doesn't give me the normal RStudio bomb error message, but just the Windows crash message: image

I think it would be useful if you could share a reproducible example or at least a sanitized version of the code you are running when the crash happens.

1 Like

I wish I could, I haven't come across any patterns for the crashing, the two most common times are during a database pull or doing basic "reshaping" using dplyr-related functions.

Try with the preview version of RStudio and see if that helps
https://www.rstudio.com/products/rstudio/download/preview/
You can also try reseting Rstudio's state
https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/200534577-Resetting-RStudio-Desktop-s-State?mobile_site=true

3 Likes

So far no luck, the last two days it's crashed when there was nothing running and I was just typing code into the Source panel. I really appreciate all of your tips.

One more thing to try would be experimenting with the "OS Integration" options, especially the rendering engine.

2 Likes

I've set my rendering engine to "software" and haven't had a crash in a day and a half :crossed_fingers::woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.