Here's a weird one. Last weekend, I downloaded
README.Rmd from here. I seem to remember being able to open and view this file in RStudio 1.1.463 - Ubuntu 16.04+/Debian 9+ (64-bit). No problem.
However, tonight, I tried opening this file in RStudio (by double-clicking the file in Nautilus, as is usual). When I did, RStudio froze, thought for awhile, then crashed. I tried again. Same thing. I even tried copy+pasting the contents of
README.Rmd into a new, blank Rmd file created in a new session of RStudio. After a few seconds of this text existing in RStudio, the program freezes and crashes once again.
I purged RStudio, deleted the folders and cache it creates in my home directory at installation, and reinstalled the same version of RStudio for Ubuntu. Same issue. I cannot open
README.Rmd without instantly crashing RStudio. I cannot even copy+paste the contents of that file into a new one without a crash a few milliseconds later.
I purged RStudio again. Installed the preview version--RStudio 1.2.1303 - Ubuntu 18 (64-bit)--instead, and tried opening the file. It worked. No crashing.
Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on? It's not terribly urgent, since the problem doesn't occur in the preview version of RStudio, though I'd prefer the stable version.
Here's my session info upon startup of RStudio (preview version now), if that helps:
R version 3.5.2 (2018-12-20) Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit) Running under: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS Matrix products: default BLAS: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/blas/libblas.so.3.7.1 LAPACK: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lapack/liblapack.so.3.7.1 locale:  LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 LC_NUMERIC=C LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8  LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8 LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8  LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8 LC_NAME=C LC_ADDRESS=C  LC_TELEPHONE=C LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C attached base packages:  stats graphics grDevices utils datasets methods base loaded via a namespace (and not attached):  compiler_3.5.2 tools_3.5.2 yaml_2.2.0