RStudio Daily Build Never Loads

So this is interesting. Here's what I see when I run sessionInfo() in R from the command line:

> sessionInfo()
R version 3.5.0 (2018-04-23)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)
Running under: macOS High Sierra 10.13.5

Matrix products: default
BLAS: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/lib/libRblas.0.dylib
LAPACK: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] devtools_1.13.6

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
[1] compiler_3.5.0 withr_2.1.2    memoise_1.1.0  digest_0.6.15

And here's what I see in the diagnostics report for the latest RStudio 1.2.800:

R version 3.5.0 (2018-04-23)
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0 (64-bit)
Running under: macOS High Sierra 10.13.5

Matrix products: default
BLAS: /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Versions/A/libBLAS.dylib
LAPACK: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.5/Resources/lib/libRlapack.dylib

locale:
[1] en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8/C/en_US.UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base     

other attached packages:
[1] devtools_1.13.6

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
[1] compiler_3.5.0 tools_3.5.0    withr_2.1.2    memoise_1.1.0  digest_0.6.15 

For your other questions:

1. RStudio 1.1 runs great
  2. open /Applications/RStudio.app doesn't open either
  3. AFAIK, I'm not running any antivirus software.

Now that you mention it, I see the same thing -- R when launched from RStudio uses the Accelerate libBLAS, but R in the terminal uses the bundled libRblas. Sorry; I should've tested and verified on my end but this was a fairly surprising result as we don't attempt to do anything explicitly to control which BLAS is loaded by R!

This still doesn't get us any closer to understanding what the underlying issue is, unfortunately.

Do you have any other R startup files that might be in play here; e.g. a .Rprofile or .Renviron? Are you loading any extra R packages on startup?

Nothing odd going on in .Rprofile or .Renviron. I load devtools if interactive() and set some devtools related options via .First <- function(). (oh, and just twitter and github tokens in .Renviron)

That said, I had deleted everything R-related, including those files, the ~/.rstudio-desktop folder and my R installation and libraries before doing a clean install of R 3.5 and the RStudio Desktop Preview prior to my first post in this thread.

I was thinking maybe I need to do a clean install of MacOS. I've just been updating since forever (like 6 years) so maybe things are just in an odd state on my machine?

Here's my system info (I hit the reply limit)...

It's possible!

For what it's worth, we have received some reports related to crash-on-startup from Windows users who were running with onboard Intel graphics cards (e.g. Intel UHD 620, or similar). What kind of video card does your machine have? If it's an older machine, it's possible that we're running into a similar kind of driver incompatibility here.

It might be useful to see the About This Mac dialog from the system menu, just to see what kind of machine + hardware you're working with. (If you take a screenshot you might want to make sure to screen out the serial number there as well)

Here is the info from About this mac. I have deleted .rstudio-desktop several times now but after changes to global settings (e.g., vim-keys, cobalt color scheme) the issue pops back up again. As I mentioned, when I close the Rstudio window that does start and try again it always does come up.

I am seeing this issue as well with the preview version (1.2.792-1) - If I load RStudio directly or attempt to open a project I just get a grey screen with the spinner. Generating the diagnostic report via the command line closes out quickly and after the system info includes a couple of errors about the main window closing unexpectedly (see full report here).

FYI I just installed the daily build (1.2.832) and it seems Rstudio now starts up fine.

https://dailies.rstudio.com/

I just tried this daily build but I am still seeing the failure to startup.

@rundel what happens if you try launching RStudio from the command line with:

RSTUDIO_CHROMIUM_ARGUMENTS="--disable-gpu" /Applications/RStudio.app/Contents/MacOS/RStudio

Same thing happens, there is a slow loading period with the RStudio window showing a white background with the couple of seconds of the spinning beachball. After that it loads to the grey background with the spinner and just sits there.

I do get one new message in the terminal:

rundel@tbBook [~]$ RSTUDIO_CHROMIUM_ARGUMENTS="--disable-gpu" /Applications/RStudio.app/Contents/MacOS/RStudio
[50696:775:0718/141043.477249:ERROR:gpu_process_transport_factory.cc(1019)] Lost UI shared context.
"Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'desktopInfo' of null"

@rundel Do you use an external monitor? I had the "infinite spin" issue come up once now when Rstudio opened up on my external monitor. No problems (sofar) with the daily build if I only use the laptop screen.

No external monitor or any other peripheral connected - I'm on a MacBook Pro 13-inch, Late 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports.

I just tried with daily build 1.2.835 and things seem to be working again.

Phew, glad to hear it! We did indeed implement a speculative fix for the issue you were encountering here; very happy to hear it did indeed resolve the issue :slight_smile:

1 Like