Rstudio desktop freezes upon startup

Error Information:

A common problem, Rstudio freezes right after startup. FOr the past year or so when this happened, I would "reset Rstudio state" by removing the ~/.rstudio-desktop directory (backing it up elsewhere just in case as suggested). That is not fixing it this time. In fact, yesterday there was no ~/.rstudio-desktop, and yet opening Rstudio does not create it. I have put the backup directory in there, no fix. I have tried switching to software rendering. I have rebooted my computer. I have reinstalled Rstudio, updated to latest R. Nothing on any of these boards fixes the problem. I have moved the .rdata file so it would start a new session. Every single time I must use Force Quit to close an unresponsive Rstudio.

Attempted steps taken to fix -

System Information:

• RStudio Edition:1.4.1103 desktop
  • RStudio Version:
  • OS Version: 10.15.7
  • R Version: 4.0.3
  • Output your diagnostics report (if possible): not possible

From RStudio Desktop Will Not Start on support.rstudio.com

in this case perhaps a new fix: using https://support.rstudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/218730228-Resetting-a-user-s-state-on-RStudio-Server (this is NOT RStudio Server), I deleted my

~/.config/rstudio/ All user settings (Global Options) lost
~/.local/share/rstudio/ All open files and tabs lost
~/.rstudio/ All active and suspended sessions deleted

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.