RStudio Desktop slow and laggy when project is on a network drive

Hey @kevinushey, I have similar issues, i.e. sluggishness of RStudio while working in Projects on a network drive. A few things:

• Not using git, and no hidden git files
  • Running the newest Rstudio daily build 1.2.862 right now
  • Windows 7
  • My Project is on the network drive

I mainly have issues in 3 places:

• Using the File pane both for the first time and for general navigation is slow, and I get the spinning wheel a lot
  • Executing code often results in the Console just sitting there, with no red Stop sign (Using CTRL+ backtick I see "console_input" as the likely culprit) and then finally it all executes at once really quickly (meaning the R code itself wasn't the slow part, and RStudio was preventing the executed code from actually getting to R)
  • Saving / Deleting / Renaming files is also pretty slow occasionally (these might all be separate issues).

For the most part, can deal with 1 and 3 and blame my network drive for being slow, but 2 seems interesting. If you want screen shots of any of these, I can try and get you some.

Update) Including a few screenshots. I'll add more as I hit them in regular use.

Sluggishness when saving

Sluggishness with tab completion from a non-libraried package

Extreme sluggishness on startup

• I was clicking around in this one trying to make it do anything so maybe that skewed the results, but essentially I opened RStudio and then tried to click around and see if different Panes were loaded (Files, Plots, Packages, etc) and they just showed a blue screen with nothing there until whatever is happening in the picture finished (took probably 30+ seconds). Maybe the check_for_external_edit is doing something?

Sluggishness with executing R code that should be fast

This specific example happened when running devtools::load_all(), but the package loads extremely fast so this shouldn't be an issue. I pressed Play to watch the live feed of this one, and as soon as lint_r_source_document turned blue the rest of the stack finished quickly, if that helps (took around 15 seconds).

Or maybe the common theme in all of these is a slow modify_document_properties?