RStudio Desktop slow and laggy when project is on a network drive

Disabling [x] Prompt to install missing R packages discovered in R source files doesn't seem to do a whole lot here.

But WOW .rs.listInstalledPackages() is slow. Yes, my R packages live on a network drive, and I think this is 95% of the issue with everything to do with the laggy Console.

Running:

# with network drive .libPaths()
.rs.listInstalledPackages() 
.libPaths("local/R/package/lib")
.rs.listInstalledPackages() 

This is night and day. In fact, I can barely even get the network drive version of .rs.listInstalledPackages() to run because it takes so long. Immediately after switching .libPaths(), it runs almost instantaneously.

Sadly I really like the network drive pkg setup because I have write access and my colleagues have read-only access and we all use the same library. This get's around a number of missing or clashing problems when others have to run my scripts.

The next slowest thing is the Files pane, but I could see that being separate from the network drive package library one. And it is much less intrusive. It is definitely also a network drive issue because if I open the same Project on my C drive it is blazing fast again.

I should also note that this network drive slowness is not unique to the new daily builds of RStudio. My 1.1.456 version experiences this slowness as well.