Director of Marketing
Like solving problems and having fun? If you enjoy knowing that your work is highly visible and mission critical, even better. RStudio is searching for a Director of Marketing to drive new customer growth and existing customer expansion faster and more cost-effectively. You will do this by telling engaging stories delivered via integrated Marketing campaigns.
You will be a strong voice on the leadership team for our Go to Market strategy and execution of the integrated marketing plan. While deepening relationships with customers by creating or collaborating and overseeing communications that foster dialogue, and provide a demonstrably richer experience - allowing customers to be closer to our brands including but not limited to Social Marketing (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter), Video, Blogs, Forums, Chats, links, etc.
The ideal candidate must have deep experience in several (though not all) of the following areas of marketing: Inbound marketing, email marketing, online advertising and ad networks, website analytics, SEO/SEM, direct mail, social media, events, and marketing operations. In addition, this individual must have superior analytical skills, be a team player, energetic, care about the details, and able to juggle a variety of time-sensitive projects.
Experienced . You thrive at the intersection of big-picture strategy and detail-oriented execution.
Data-Driven. You like to take risks and try new things but also appreciate data and getting the basics right. You love testing and tweaking communications materials to see what works best.
Creative. You enjoy thinking creatively about how to build partnerships, target supporters and create content that engages and inspires people to join our movement.
Get Things Done. You are entrepreneurial and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment. No task is too big or too small. You follow-through, take initiative and get things done. You also value time and positive ROI; you can identify what should be outsourced, delegated or done in-house.
Leader. Engaging, systematic, and confident to develop strong followership on the team and across RStudio
Player. Humble, hands-on, and experienced to build and launch larger/complex fully integrated campaigns
Coach. Collaborative, supportive, and fair - but also data-driven and demanding (e.g., marketing and management skills, business acumen, comfortable with metrics and data)
Smart. Understands the big picture (market, customers, company) but also knows and cares about the details
Hard working. Get things done and never wastes a moment.
Oversee development, coordination and monitoring of integrated marketing and digital strategy plans in support of ongoing multi-year strategic plans and priorities.
- Work closely across the company (with Sales, Product Marketing, Events, Operations, Solution Engineering, and Product Management) to make sure we’re raising awareness, driving engagement, and delivering revenue
- Provide sound business justification for marketing and digital investments (based on market and consumer trends, best available data, audience and expert insights, past campaign data, and best practices), present recommendations for approval.
- Regularly communicate the results to clients and the wider marketing and communications team to issue recommendations to refine future marketing and customer relationship strategies.
- Responsible for building Existing Customer (base) engagement strategies focused on maximizing the value our customers get from their investment in RStudio. Key measures being impact on churn and expansion rates.
- Develop, disseminate, update and monitor marketing and digital policies and procedures to ensure all marketing and digital materials and activities meet legal and ethical guidelines.
Retain, develop, manage, and maintain a high-performing marketing and digital team, by facilitating training, development planning, coaching, and managing performance of direct and indirect reporting relationships.
- This team covers: SEO, Paid Search and Social, RStudio.com, Customer Engagement, Events, and Marketing Operations.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of Marketing & Digital Strategy, including all human resources, budget-related, project management oversight, and other issues.
- Work with team members to maintain the highest levels of quality, customer service, and collaboration in developing, implementing, and evaluating comprehensive outcomes-based marketing and digital plans (including advertising, media buying, agency management and selection, digital media, and outcomes reporting).
- Assess team challenges, client management situations, and/or organizational dynamics and proactively employ appropriate actions to quickly resolve problems and ensure projects/objectives are achieved.
- Continually engage with team members to monitor the effectiveness of marketing initiatives and find ways to achieve business and marketing objectives more efficiently and effectively.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or related field (Master’s/MBA preferred)
- 8-10 years of digital media and demand generation management [digital marketing, digital media, search engine marketing (SEM), programmatic, display advertising, paid social, video advertising, media planning, web and marketing analytics, A/B split and multivariate testing, data management platform (DMP) usage, multi-touch attribution]
- Detailed knowledge of Google Analytics, Google Search Console, Google Tag Manager, Google Adwords, Display Advertising, SEO tools
- Experience with marketing application development or data analytics infrastructure software
- Excellent teamwork and collaborative skills and the ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple work streams and projects simultaneously
- Scaled Digital Marketing at an enterprise SaaS company through a data-driven, systematic Marketing approach
- Expert at developing integrated marketing campaigns targeting Large Enterprises, leveraging a complex marketing mix across the buyer’s journey. Think ABM.
- Proven track-record of understanding target audiences and creating marketing campaigns that engage, inform, and convert
- Expert knowledge of content management systems, marketing automation, SEO, SEM, and social best practices (organic and paid)
- Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking, knowledge of R and/or Python and RStudio is a significant plus.
We are a lean, distributed team, passionate about making R and open source data science tools accessible to people all over the world, regardless of economic means. We are an organization that values talent, humility, and hard work over hierarchy.
- We are remote friendly and many people work from home or a coffee shop. We also have an office in Boston and Seattle
- Competitive salary with great benefits including medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered), 401k matching, a home office allowance, and a profit-sharing system
- Pick your hardware — we want to equip you with what you need to do your best work
- All our full-time employees are given a one time allowance to outfit their home office
- We have a flexible environment with excellent benefits and a “take what you need” vacation policy
- Positive, passionate culture working with a world-class team committed to data science and the R language
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.