RStudio errors after changing rendering engine

I recently got a new Windows laptop and have been moving all my old code over and getting everything setup. I was using R and RStudio for several days with no issues. But then I needed to install the development version of ggrepel from GitHub, which required me to install devtools and RTools.

RStudio hung up while installing devtools and ever since I have been having issues. I have uninstalled/re-installed both R and RStudio (and RTools for that matter) multiple times. I have deleted appdata\RStudio and appdata\RStudio-Desktop and no change in behavior. When I try to start RStudio I get a white window and the title bar quickly changes to "Not Responding".

If I hold down CTRL when starting RStudio and change the rendering engine to "software" then the program will start. It let me install devtools, however when I run


I get an error

Error:package 'digest' does not have a namespace

What can I do to get back to a functional installation of RStudio?

This doesn't mean your setup is non functional. It means the package you want to install has a dependency on another package that you dont have


I did that and it seemed to install okay, but I continued to get
Error:package 'digest' does not have a namespace

every time I tried to install anything. Interestingly, this also occurred when I tried to do the installs using the base R GUI

In the end (as I was producing things for work that were due by 8 am) I removed R and re-installed v3.6.3 and everything worked...still not sure what is going on

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.