Rstudio fatal error starting

R Session Startup Failure Report

RStudio Version

RStudio 2022.12.0+353 "Elsbeth Geranium " (7d165dcf, 2022-12-03) for macOS

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) RStudio/2022.12.0+353 Chrome/102.0.5005.167 Electron/19.1.3 Safari/537.36

Error message

[No error available]

Process Output

The R session exited with code 1.

Error output:

[No errors emitted]

Standard output:

[No output emitted]

Logs

/Users/carlos/.local/share/rstudio/log/rsession-carlos.log

2023-01-07T20:23:47.185218Z [rsession-carlos] ERROR 'rstudio::core::Error rstudio::r::exec::(anonymous namespace)::evaluateExpressionsUnsafe(SEXP, SEXP, SEXP *, sexp::Protect *, rstudio::r::exec::(anonymous namespace)::EvalType)' was called from non-main thread; LOGGED FROM: rstudio::core::Error rstudio::r::exec::(anonymous namespace)::evaluateExpressionsUnsafe(SEXP, SEXP, SEXP *, sexp::Protect *, rstudio::r::exec::(anonymous namespace)::EvalType) src/cpp/r/RExec.cpp:138
2023-01-07T20:23:47.185715Z [rsession-carlos] ERROR r error 5 (R symbol not found) [symbol: .rs.explorer.saveCache]; OCCURRED AT rstudio::core::Error rstudio::r::exec::RFunction::call(SEXP, bool, SEXP *, sexp::Protect *) src/cpp/r/RExec.cpp:469; LOGGED FROM: void rstudio::session::modules::explorer::(anonymous namespace)::onShutdown(bool) src/cpp/session/modules/SessionObjectExplorer.cpp:129
2023-01-07T20:23:47.185715Z [rsession-carlos] ERROR r error 5 (R symbol not found) [symbol: .rs.explorer.saveCache]; OCCURRED AT rstudio::core::Error rstudio::r::exec::RFunction::call(SEXP, bool, SEXP *, sexp::Protect *) src/cpp/r/RExec.cpp:469; LOGGED FROM: void rstudio::session::modules::explorer::(anonymous namespace)::onShutdown(bool) src/cpp/session/modules/SessionObjectExplorer.cpp:129

R console gives this:
R version 4.2.2 (2022-10-31) -- "Innocent and Trusting"
Copyright (C) 2022 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin17.0 (64-bit)

R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
Type 'license()' or 'licence()' for distribution details.

Natural language support but running in an English locale

R is a collaborative project with many contributors.
Type 'contributors()' for more information and
'citation()' on how to cite R or R packages in publications.

Type 'demo()' for some demos, 'help()' for on-line help, or
'help.start()' for an HTML browser interface to help.
Type 'q()' to quit R.

[R.app GUI 1.79 (8160) x86_64-apple-darwin17.0]

[Workspace restored from /Users/carlos/.RData]
[History restored from /Users/carlos/.Rapp.history]

Sys.which("R")
R
"/usr/local/bin/R"

Did you install with brew?

No, I installed it with the dmg download installer

Thanks. R is where it should be. Do you have RStudio in this directory?

Yes.
(base) cmoreno’s MacBook Pro (3):~ carlos$ cd /Applications/RStudio.app/Contents/MacOS
(base) cmoreno’s MacBook Pro (3):MacOS carlos$ ls
RStudio

Any help is much appreciated. I completely uninstalled R and reinstalled it and still get the same fatal error. I also restarted my computer. Nothing seems to resolve the problem.

I'm running MacOS Ventura 13.1

I’m going to try downversioning RStudio to see if that breaks anything and will let you know. Ping me if I don’t report back.

I have the same issue. Follows recent upgrade to RStudio promoting the new brand.

No menu. Blank screen. I have deleted and re-installed R and done the same with RStudio.

R console gives a similar message as Carlos above:
R version 4.2.2 (2022-10-31) -- "Innocent and Trusting"
Copyright (C) 2022 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-apple-darwin17.0 (64-bit)

R is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
Type 'license()' or 'licence()' for distribution details.

Natural language support but running in an English locale

R is a collaborative project with many contributors.
Type 'contributors()' for more information and
'citation()' on how to cite R or R packages in publications.

Type 'demo()' for some demos, 'help()' for on-line help, or
'help.start()' for an HTML browser interface to help.
Type 'q()' to quit R.

[R.app GUI 1.79 (8160) x86_64-apple-darwin17.0]

[Workspace restored from /Users/philip/.RData]
[History restored from /Users/philip/.Rapp.history]

Sys.which("R")
R
"/usr/local/bin/R"

Technocrat, I also downloaded using the download installer but do not have the directory or app you screenshot, the 'app' is named 'RStudio' (not 'RStudio.app') and it is located in /Applications/RStudio. There are no files or directories under 'RStudio'

I will be down-versioning tonight to see if it’s primarily a problem with this release and let you know.

technocrat: thank you. I am completely stuck.

technocrat: I have more than one Mac. I down-versioned the 'stuck' Mac to 2022.07.1, the version running on my second, older Mac.

2022.07.1 runs fine on the previously stuck machine. It is clearly an issue with the latest release.

1 Like

You beat me to it. I'm going to try on Ubuntu. Glad not to be forced into VSCode.

I assume it is a problem with some, but not all Mac users. I run r version 4.2.2 on an Intel Mac Mini. Are problems posted somewhere? I was seeing RStudio's 'a new version is available' for a while (2 weeks?) before I upgraded, figuring any kinks would have been worked out

I'm on an M1 and have a variety of workarounds for some, but not all problems. Many of them are related to changes that override ENV.

Down versioning worked for me on Intel but not Silicon. I'm going to wait for the dev cycle to catch up with reality and take this as an encouragement to try out VSCode.

Technocrat: I'd be interested to know how you get on with VSCode. While I am sure it has it's own intricacies I'm curious about the learning curve to be as functional with VSC as you are with RStudio. I run code everyday. I can't go down for an even a couple of days while the dev team figures out a patch.

Have you been able to recreate the fatal error? Or any progress for a solution? I noticed it started when I installed Command Line Tools for Xcode 14.2.dmg

1 Like

Still puzzling. Check back tomorrow after 0100 PST

Macbook Pro Apple M2 Ventura 13.1 I have a similar issue

1 Like