RStudio fatal error when loading tabulizer

I recently updated R to version 4.2.0 on my Windows 10 PC. When I try to load the package tabulizer, RStudio crashes and the bomb icon with the correspondent "R encountered a fatal error appears". I reinstalled rJava, tabulizer and tabulizerjar following the GitHub Repo. This is, using the following command line:

remotes::install_github(c("ropensci/tabulizerjars", "ropensci/tabulizer"), INSTALL_opts = "--no-multiarch")

In addition, I set manually the JAVA_HOME from my environment variables and used the command Sys.setenv(JAVA_HOME = "C:/Program Files/Java/jdk-18.0.1"). As you may notice, I used the last JDK version available here.

This strategy worked on VSCode and in R-Terminal if I used the following:

Sys.setenv(JAVA_HOME = "C:/Program Files/Java/jdk-18.0.1")
library(tabulizer)

However, I could not make it work on RStudio (version 2022.02.1 Build 461).

I left my R Session for further reference:

R version 4.2.0 (2022-04-22 ucrt)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
Running under: Windows 10 x64 (build 19042)

Matrix products: default

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=Spanish_Mexico.utf8  LC_CTYPE=Spanish_Mexico.utf8    LC_MONETARY=Spanish_Mexico.utf8 LC_NUMERIC=C                   
[5] LC_TIME=Spanish_Mexico.utf8    

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base     

other attached packages:
[1] rJava_1.0-6

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
[1] compiler_4.2.0 tools_4.2.0  
1 Like

I'm having the same exact issue. I can run it in native R, but RStudio bombs every time.

Just an FYI, I went back to the previous version of R (Index of /bin/windows/base/old/4.1.2)) and then the RStudio IDE didn't crash with tabulizer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.