Main Issue: RStudio > New Project > Version Control > Git states that Git was not detected on system path. Git tab has disappeared.
The issue was first noticed when I opened a local project connected to a GitHub repository and my Git tab was missing. I then attempted to start a New Project under RStudio version control, but it stated that Git was not on my system path. This is the case despite manually setting the Git executable in Global Options.
$ git remote -v returns the correct GitHub repo as well. I can still access a Git-Bash terminal from RStudio and have successfully ran basic git commands like thoseoutlined in Happy With GitR Chapter 9 (https://happygitwithr.com/push-pull-github.html). Git version control still works in VSCode (Same GitHub repo as
git) for runs in all terminals.
In RStudio Git-Bash terminal:
$ which gitreturns
- echo $PATH does not seem to have Git in it, just
In RStudio Windows PowerShell terminal:
- $env:Path has both
C:\Program Files\Git\cmdin it
In RStudio Command Prompt terminal:
echo %PATH%also has
Additional System Info:
- Windows machine running Windows 10 (updated approximately a couple weeks ago) on HP Spectre Laptop
- Updated/Re-installed R and RStudio
- Updated/Re-installed Git
- Gone to Tools > Global Options > Git/SVN, manually set Git Executable to
- Followed Windows specific instructions at Installing Git in PATH with GitHub client for Windows (number 2 solution) by manually adding
C:/Program Files/Git/cmdto my system PATH
Also attempted fixes outlined on the following RStudio Community topics to no avail:
- Recently updated Anaconda and Python to latest versions
- Had both VSCode and RStudio open and connected to same GitHub repository (was making commits/pushing from VSCode)
- As of now, I believe my RStudio is under my Program Files, but my R libraries are stored under
Recreate Install Error Messages
At the end of installing Git, I received 12 error messages, ultimately stating that it was 'Unable to set system config defaults'
- Run uninstall for current Git, manually delete any remaining files (usually
- Download Git for Windows
- No changes to default settings during installer