Description of issue -

System Information:

• RStudio Edition: Desktop
  • RStudio Version: rstudio-xenial-1.1.442-amd64.deb
  • OS Version:
  • R Version: R version 3.4.4
  • sessionInfo(): see above

Referred here from support.rstudio.com

Could you elaborate on the issue, please?

1 Like

I downloaded and installed RStudio in Linux (Ubuntu). I am new in Linux (never used it), I was unable to get the right directory for the installed files and get these error messages;
(e.g. cd /c/User/ahmar215/Documents: No such file or directory). I changed the directory to:
cd /c/home/ahmar215/Downloads: No such file or directory OR
cd c:/user/ahmar215/Downloads No such file or directory.

I don't know how to handle this. I also don't know what is the command to run RStudio in Linux. I am not sure if these make sense.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

AFAIK the home directory in Linux is not c:/User but instead on /home/

2 Likes

you can see where you are at the moment with pwd in console. If you do that, you'll see that @rexevan is correct since Linux doesn't have C/D/E drives like Windows.

However, to solve your particular problem, I'm not sure why you need terminal at all. In Ubuntu you have "Search your computer" thingy in your dock (for me it has grey Ubuntu icon). If you click on it, you can type "RStudio" in search bar and you'll have an icon for RStudio. Once it's running, right-click on the RStudio icon and choose "Lock to launcher". Going forward, it'll work exactly as icon in your command bar in Windows.

1 Like

This. You don't even need to click on "Search my computer" - just click the super key on your keyboard, i.e., the Windows key on a Windows keyboard or the Command key on a Mac keyboard.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated! As I said earlier – I am pretty new in Linux and slowly leaning about what I am doing.

I used this link to download and install Linux version of RStudio on my laptop: [[https://linuxconfig.org/rstudio-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux.]]. All worked except when it wants the directory.

When I type “rstudio” in Ubuntu to run RStudio, I get an error message (below).
[[QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display. Aborted (core dumped)]]

When I type "pwd" in Ubuntu terminal, it shows me this directly: [["/home/ahmar215]]
(NOTE: ahmar215 is my user name), but I saved Rstudio for Linux (Ubuntu) on my D drive.
When I type "ls" it shows the following;
[[Rplots.pdf rstudio-server-1.1.463-amd64.deb rstudio-server-1.1.463-amd64.deb.1 rstudio-xenial-1.1.442-amd64.deb]]

I assume I am doing something wrong here, or installed unnecessary packages (e.g. server version) but not sure how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Ahmad

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you have a query related to it or one of the replies, start a new topic and refer back with a link.